This, is, of course not just a simple reply to Chris Veasey from Graham Feakins but a couple of points I would like to be allowed to address.Firstly, I have taken on board your editor's admonition since it appears that not everybody has taken that to heart. Only a remark.I was questioned on my view that in 40 years there would be no fuel to argue about. That figure came from what I thought was a thoughtful article in one of last week's "The Independent" newspaper. Perhaps, that is why that newspaper carries such a title.I will only add that I enjoyed luncheon yesterday in the company, amongst many others, of no less than a former Board member of the CEGB sitting beside me on one side and a retired member of the nuclear power industry on the other. I can only tell you that they repeated the impression (I have known them personally for many years) that they did their best to support electric traction whether that be trams, trolleybuses or railways, in positive (no pun intended as your editor would say) ways. It was not specific to the WLT project but they supported electric traction in general. There has to be a solution to this general problem but trying to balance the thoughts of quite strong-minded individuals involved in as what I can only at the moment see as the turmoil of the WLT scheme offers only continued debate.There many things that I could add. For example, in France, this sort of thing would not go on and did not in Nantes, where a new tram system was installed, some years before Croydon Tramlink. What happened, as many may know, was that the then London Transport as one party, the Croydon Council and their Tramlink team (cross-party support) as the other major party promoting Croydon Tramlink sensibly decided to involve the Croydon Chamber of Commerce and its business members, including my firm, quite openly, and to invite us come to (a) take a business trip to Nantes to make new business colleagues (which most of us did), (b) to taste the wine from the Loire vally (which all of us did!) AND (c)to see the then new tramway -two routes and to be hosted by the Nantes tramway authority, and to ask very frank questions about the problems involved. We asked and, to my surprise, we received most frank answers. We were not taken to Grenoble, because they were able simply to lavish money on a new tram system and Croydon/LT knew that such a luxury could not be afforded. Nantes was more to our scale, and with similar problems before as in Croydon.But then, I asked a question. There was an east-west route and a north-south route. Just to the north of the junction between the meeting of the two routes, there was another double-track junction of tram rails leading off the north-south route, the two sets of tram rails running from the set of points, up onto the pavement and terminating outside the front door and windows in the midst of a long-establshed building. "Oh, Mr. Feakins, that is our new Route 3 and we do not want to disrupt the tram route 2 service by having to take up the track to lay the junction". "But", I said, "The tracks stop in front of this building". "Let me just say that we have refused the owner planning permission to extend his bathroom... ." There was a "main road" behind the property leading up the hill to the university, which now supports what may be described as one of the most successful tram routes of Nantes. That was in the time of an anti-tram mayor and so I wonder how the French managed to achieve such an improvement and it is openly admitted that it was the tram that was solely instrumental in assisting/prompting the re-generation of of a run-down city centre. The then mayor was anti-tram and pro-car but changed his mind after the introduction of the first two routes. All this, of course comes from mainland Europe and it could never happen here. They thought like that in France ("We don't want trams here") but the trams came and now the French, to my mind, are ahead of us in such positive thinking with still results to envy. It's a worry.Now, I reflect upon the emotive comments below and I just wonder why everything gets so personal. Is there no chance of any sensible, thoughtful debate amongst you? Perhaps some of your emotive correspondents really need to be taken, resisting in handcuffs, to see what can be achieved elswhere on the Continent, to the improved surroundings of a modern tram/light rail system, just as we did before Tramlink was granted permission to proceed. Maybe it was the wine that did it.Finally, I must return the comments of Mr. Veasey. The only minicab firm in Church Street that we can think of is indeed by Reeves Corner and the cars would not only have blocked the trams but the buses and other traffic in the neighbourhood and the solution was to have the cars set back in the lay-by above, close to Argos in Church Street, from where they could be called onto the cab office. Of course, as readily admitted, the time of the youthful exodus in the early hours of the morning would find no buses or trams running in any case and so, presumably, the road outside the cab office would be free... .As for the Centrale development, surely the "yet another huge new multistorey car park", which is quoted, simply is a rebuild of the former Drummond Road multistorey car park that existed on the same site since the 1960's, albeit with, I feel, now actually FEWER car parking spaces? Please do not try to try to pull the wool over the eyes of those who are not familiar with the area.The one point that I have really have to agree with you is the unbelieveably convoluted and circuitous route for the cars to the Centrale (aka Drummond Road) car park. You clearly have not had stay in the Holiday Inn "Express" hotel further round that route. You can see the sign on top the hotel from the Croydon Flyover but you try and get there! As I said before, that has little to do Tramlink. The Croydon one-way system in all the local roads in that area was basically established in the late 1960's (when the parking meter scheme was installed) by Croydon Council and only comparatively small adjustments were made as a result of Tramlink. Please do not blame the trams for all that! Please also remember that the trams now run along roads in that area where trolleybuses ran until 1959. Enough said tonight.
Graham Feakins ● 7665d