Forum Topic

Barbara's point about an area being "special" to have conservation status raises some interesting points, one of which is how unspoilt from the original it is. Most developments are messed about with within a few years of building - loft conversions, garages, conservatories, paving over the front garden, making the garage a habitable room, that sort of thing. What seems to become a conservation area is what hasn't been mucked about with very much. I live on a 1960s built private estate which has covenants far stricter than planning law. It was made a conservation area in 1995. That hasn't stopped "illegal" development, even if it only means satellite dishes on walls and roofs, or replacing black window ledges with white.By suggesting an area is special and worthy of conservation is Barbara suggesting that those areas excluded are ready for the wrecking ball? I don't think so. I rather think they are being allowed to slowly run down.When I was young most of the housing stock in Ealing, south of Uxbridge Road was less than 50 years old. Now it's between 70 and 100 years old, there have been no significant  developments in that time. So what is the expected life-span of those buildings? 100 years, 150, 200? As they collapse through disrepair are we going to see patchwork new build?Probably, because that's the easiest way. And it's what we are getting at the moment.Regarding front walls and gates not being permitted to be demolished a well-aimed East European juggernaut could quite easily perform the same function, and faster.

Alan Brainsby ● 6962d

Anyway Alan, you must be a bit Polish.  Polish surnames end in "a" if its a woman and an "i" if it's a man. Once I had my surname misspelt as Brainsky. I will not repeat what my initial reaction was, but the error was soon corrected.I suppose most of us north Europeans are intermingled. North Europeans , including Northern France Normans, Belgians, Dutch, Northern Germans, Scands, and so on do look very similar. Poles only are identifiable in Ealing by, if they are girls, being slim, and if boys, by calling loudly to each other in some pagan tongue!Certainly my family for the last 200-250 years are English or Welsh. My wife may have Baltic relations as an ancestor was called Stani(s)land, or similar, from Humberside.Question Barbara: what happens to a Conservation Area when the buildings become time expired. Surely they can't go on for ever, can they? Does it mean council grants will be available to keep them in their pristine 200 year old as-conserved condition? Should the act of designation include the introduction of contemporaneous (no, I didn't need a spell-checker!) lamp-posts which will illuminate the highways past these monuments of dubious taste or architectural merit so they can be seen by those of a crepuscular or nocturnal nature.Perhaps even benches securely nailed to the pavement so people can sit and marvel, much as they do in art galleries, which also house items of dubious taste or artistic merit.Of course the above would be done simultaneously with pavement improvements, road surfacing, and introduction of a CPZ.A nice touch would be flashing LED attached to lamp-posts warning, sorry, telling people they were in a Conservation Area, then those individuals could marvel at what the council had done. After all most people are unaware whether they are in a conservation area, although the suggested footway and road improvements may hint at it.PS how about giving freshly resurfaced roads conservation status? They are pretty unique in themselves!!!

Alan Brainsby ● 6962d

Barbara, thank you for your reply.The point about conservation areas being the will of the residents is to my mind a bit like Controlled Parking Zones.What the residents think in 2007, say, is not necessarily the will of the residents of 2017. Re-appraisal of the areas could take place automatically when more than a certain percentage of the properties change ownership. This could simply be monitored by looking at the council's records of who owns what.I believe the conservation area I live in was granted at the request of one or two residents from a total of 150 or so. As regards planning consent for various alterations to buildings; our estate's covenants are far more stringent than conservation area planning directives, so the conservation status is irrelevant.That said, the covenants are still broken, sometimes with the blessing of the planning department (because it's permitted by planning law but restricted by covenant) and sometimes without, to say nothing of a disregard of building regulations. I agree planning law is a mess, especially that part which allows illegal developments over four years old to remain in place. But as long a fire tender can get to the properties I suppose it's all right.I don't think any law ever passed in this country has ever been "dry-run" to see what long term effects it may have. Every law seems to have an unexpected effect because it wasn't thought through completely, but that's the benefit of democratically electing the 600-odd most incompetent individuals from a short-list of 4 to 5 000 incompetents.

Alan Brainsby ● 6960d