Regarding acronyms again, MOUSE, SPOOL, and acronym are regarded by some as backronyms as they are based on existing words. One I do like is WOMBAT - Waste Of Money, Brains And Time, usually applied to scientific projects, I believe. BBC's H2G2 website's got some useful chat.Regarding cliches - carriage/carriages, as applied to the passenger carrying vehicles of a train, specifically.A carriage is a railway vehicle divided into non-interconnecting compartments, such that each compartment has two doors, one either side of the carriage body, the only points of ingress or egress. Carriages where last built by BR in the 50s and probably all scrapped by the mid 70s. What I believe the media and at least Virgin Railrefer to when they speak of a carriage is a coach. A coach may have compartments linked by a side corridor or be open plan, as virtually every mainline train is nowadays. Additionally a coach may have an interconnection with the next coach. The exception to coach is car, which is an abbreviation of carriage. This has always been applied to Pullman vehicles (US origin) and to all Underground passenger vehicles (where coach would have been used) since the early 1900s (US owned). Rant over, but until I'm assured that modern trains are not comprised of 50 year-old stock, I'll stick to National Express. At least they call a coach a coach!
Alan Brainsby ● 7280d