Well... It's considered a serious condition,I've had it for years (about 25).Its probably caused by some of all of the things that you list. It's well known that older people need less sleep,we probably don't burn up the same amount of energy,both physical and mental once we retire,so "real" excercise can help a lot. It can be bought on by various diseases,in my case M.E.but lots of others as well,stress is a really good for insomnia,it thrives on it,but I doubt you've got too much of that! ;0) I've left the main cause until last,cos you wont like it... Glenfiddich and the like,it's really bad for giving you insomnia,it alters the amount of serotonin produced in the brain,serotonin is vital for proper sleep.If You're a coffee drinker,then it's decaff from now on,you do get used to it!(eventually) Here are a couple of links that may help :http://www.sleepdisordersguide.com/sleepdisorders.htmlhttp://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_179.htmlIf it is persistant then I'd have a chat with your Doctor, the longer it goes unchecked,the harder it is to find the cause and to cure.I've tried all of the usual anti depressants,natural remedies etc. but to no avail,I'm now on Zimovane (no not a zimmer frame quite yet!),it's a hypnotic (and has a "Street Value")so Doctors don't like prescribing it, it's the only thing that has worked for me,it has side effects that are only just slightly better than having insomnia,you do get a rather plastic sleep with it,but it is sleep! I suspect it's their last port of call for persistant beggars like me.I wish you well with it,it's a horrid illness.
Tony Wood ● 6901d