The quietness at Christmas as it used to be.
There was a time, not so very long ago, when the Christmas and New Year period, for many including myself was a period of quiet reflection.That did not mean that one could't celebrate New Year with a bit of enthusiasm, and a wee dram or two (or three!)Gerry.However in the main everthing wound down. Silence in the streets. Very little Transport moving, almost it seemed our World held its breath for the coming of the New Year.Electro-mechanical Telephone Exchanges reflected this quietness more than anything. All human life passed through those wires, but after the volume of noise leading up to the Holiday period, it all faded away as people went home, leaving only the quiet hum of the Generator and Ringing Machines, with the steady tick.......tick of the timing pulses. Then a single lonely call I hear pass through, then silence again. Someone late home perhaps?I think.Through the West Windows the last vestiges of Sunlight shine through the racks of equipment, and soon I shall be on my way home. Far more civilised maybe? I can't answer that, but somehow I think we have lost the abilty to hold back and reflect.
Colin Vaughan ● 6859d7 Comments