Forum Topic

Brentford Football Club - our local team

I'll put my cards on the table from the off - I am a Brentford Football Club Season Ticket holder and have been for over a decade.However, if you are a lapsed Brentford fan who left because of our performances under Terry Butcher, then I recommend that you get your self back down to Griffin Park as soon as possible.  Under Andy Scott's management, we are witnessing the greatest comeback since Lazarus and the football is a joy to watch.  Oh, yes, and we keep winning.If you have never visited Brentford, I can assure you it is a friendly, welcoming place and you will have an enjoyable day out.  Our crowds hover around the 4500-5000 mark so there won't be any danger of your being crushed in a crowd of 60,000+.  Griffin Park, the stadium, is a bit shabby and you'll have to avoid some puddles if it's been raining and probably queue for the loos at half-time.  But believe me, you will be more than compensated for those minor problems with the amosphere and the sheer accessibilty of the place.If you would like more details about the Club, then visit the official site here http://www.brentfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Welcome and don't forget to visit the best fans forum on the internet, The Griffin Park Grapevine here http://www.griffinpark.org/.If you have always wanted to go to a football match but have been put off by extortionate ticket prices, the hassle of getting there or the crush of people, head to Griffin Park.  My Dad and I would be happy to meet you there and we won't boo if you want to leave at half-time.

Allison Franklin ● 6836d38 Comments

Great idea for a thread, Allison!You're right, Andy Scott has turned the Bees' season around - at one point it looked like they were heading for relegation to the Blue Square Conference. Now he seems to have got the players motivated again and cleared out some of the deadwood from the squad (notably Tillen and Mackie) last Friday. I hope that he can bring in some new signings before the end of the transfer window, but only players who will complement the current squad and on the right terms.I have to admit that I only a recent convert, as I only started supporting Brentford when I came to live in the area in 2004, so I can't remember the heady days when Brentford used to beat Arsenal. But I really enjoyed the Martin Allen era with FA Cup giant killings and Playoff near-misses and hope that Brentford can get back to that level again soon.Griffin Park may not be the Emirates or Old Trafford but it certainly does have atmosphere - I hope that atmosphere will be transferred when the club moves to the new stadium at Lionel Road. I agree - there are definite advantages to supporting the local team - not least the accessibility and cost. I also feel good about supporting a local fan-owned club rather than putting money into multi-millionaires' pockets.Let's hope that the good run of form continues and that they can push on to the playoffs and get back to League 1, starting with Accrington Stanley next Saturday.Attendances should improve with the current run of form under Andy Scott, particularly if promotion becomes a possibility. Also, the club are offering discounted ticket bundles which will help too.You reds!!!!

James de Vivenot ● 6836d

Hi JamesI'm thinking of going to Chesterfield but it's a long old day.  The supporters coach leaves at 9.30am and we won't be back before 9pm, I would think.  It really does take up half the week-end and only leaves me Sunday to catch up with me domestics and so on.Also, I go with my Dad who is pretty game but hours and hours of coach travel can be exhausting for him - and me.  Especially if we lose.But we both want to go to Chesterfield so we may just grit our teeth and do it.  But Accrington is too far and on a Tuesday night and Darlington - yikes! We have amazing away travel support though so there'll be plenty of people going to all 3 games.I am posting on the W4 site and haven't posted on TW8 because I kinda assumed that people in Brentford know about the club.  But actually you are right - I should do.  There's lots of new developments in TW8 and it might hit some people who haven't thought about coming along.For those of you who might want to follow the game, you can take out a subscription to Bees World and stream commentary by Bees fans over your PC.  Or log in to the Griffin Park Grapevine (www.griffinpark.org), look at The Big Match forum and find the update thread.  There's always one running when we are playing away.  Some of the people posting will be listening to Bees World and relaying it to the rest of us vis postings on the thread - plus there's always plenty of comment both on and off topic from the rest of us.  Just keep hitting your refresh button while you are in the thread and you can follow the postings.  Or post yourself.  It's quite an international community as we have Kojebee (S Korea), California Bee (pretty obvious), Idaho Bee (ditto), Rancho Mirage Bee (same again) and lots of people from around the UK and the rest of the world.  Not unusual for a couple of hundred of us to be on the thread.

Allison Franklin ● 6801d

I haven't been posting due to no other reason than Brentford's recent results have spoken for themselves - dire.  For a brief period we couldn't buy a goal and that coincided with two of our key players - Matt Heywood and Kevin O'Connor - both being injured and unable to play.  The spine of the team disintegrated and while we have had a fabulous loanee called Alan Bennett to block the Heywood-shaped hole in the back four, we seemed to have lost rythm, confidence and fight as well as our captain and a midfielder.However, we've pulled ourselves together, got up from the canvas and are now beginning to punch our weight again.  Kevin O'Connor is back in midfield and made a classy return against Grimsby on Easter Monday and Heywood has recovered from his injury and is now on the subs bench.We played against Wrexham on Easter Saturday and to be frank the game was poor and so were both teams.  But we took 3 points and any football fan - and particularly Brentford ones - will tell you that sometimes you have to win ugly.So, what does this mean?  Anything, apart from the fact that I have cheered up?  Well, yes, actually.  Brentford rose two more places in the League 2 table yesterday putting us 10th.  Big deal, you are probably saying.  Tenth, schmenth, it's not promotion, is it?  Not outright promotion, no.  But we are now back to within touching distance of the play-offs. We don't have a strong chance - we blew too many points a couple of weeks ago when we had 3 games in 8 days and travelling of 1300 miles in a week - but we do have a chance.  We need to catch Chesterfield who are the bottom team in the play off zone on 60 points.  We have 55 points.  Both teams have played the same number of games.  Rochdale, our opponents this coming Saturday, are two teams above us and just below Chesterfield and are on 59 points.  If Rochdale beat us and Chesterfield lose, they change places and Rochdale go into the play off zone.  If we beat Rochdale and Grimsby, the team directly above us, lose we go directly below Rochdale with one point less than them and with a much stronger shout of getting into the play offs.If you only go to one game this season, make it this one.  I cannot guarantee you blood and thunder because often teams seize up when there is so much at stake but we, the fans, on the terraces can express all the emotion we want and play our part in lifting our players.See you there.

Allison Franklin ● 6764d