Our three bags were delivered today, Monday 21st.They smell, at least to me, of creosote.Any ideas as to what else the aroma is?
Alan Brainsby ● 6829d10 Comments
No, we've left ours in the porch because they are so whiffy.Very odd smell ! Smells like formaldahyde !!
Penny Crocker ● 6829d
I hope it wears off - and soon.
Sara Nathan ● 6829d
I'm glad ours aren't the only bags that smell!I'm not too sure about the formaldehyde though. It doesn't remind me of postmortem rooms very much.
Alan Brainsby ● 6829d
Actually, this is very funny but DMS scafolding seem to not mind the smell and are using them on a widespread basis. I today have been in Acton and in Ealing and in Chiswick and found them all using these pink bags, is this something to do with the pink pound?
Jo Smith ● 6828d
It's creosote. They are using it as a preservative. It said so in the leaflet that came with it. It's basically coal tar as in Wright's Coal Tar soap or Lifebuoy or Pears to a lesser extent..
Francis House ● 6828d
If it is indeed creosote, are Ealing Council aware that the International Agency for Research on Cancer has determined that creosote is probably carcinogenic?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote#Health_effects
James de Vivenot ● 6828d
This isn't in it's raw form, which would be brown, but as creosolic acid. Here you would only be in contact with small amounts briefly. Much as you would if using one of the soaps I mentioned. I would recommend not using the bags for food preparation or as a covering for your furniture. Given the smell somewhere out door would be preferred. Maybe the garden shed?
Maybe the builders are getting high !!
Penny Crocker ● 6828d
"Maybe the garden shed?"I deposited our pink garden sacks in our shed, which now smells like my old Scottish boarding school dormitory. Ah that smell of Lifebouy soap lives with me forever! :-(
Gerry Tan ● 6828d
The leaflet attached to our bags mentioned preservative had been applied but not which one(s).
Alan Brainsby ● 6827d