We had a relative in hospital recently and I did pick up the notes at the end of the bed - but didn't understand much! One of the other patients on the ward said to be careful in case the nurse saw me looking as she thought I might get into trouble.Relative had lost the ability to communicate so I wrote out a list of her favourite phrases which I left on her tray and later found folded up and placed in her bedside cabinet.I had wanted the information to be used to help gain entry into her twilight world - so I took it out and popped it inside the folder. A couple of days later the speech therapist told me she had seen it, because it was inside the folder and she chuckled saying it had been the right thing to do.I drew up a patient/relative observation/comments sheet which could be used and placed in this folder because I had substantial input into her feeding and responses whilst visiting her and found myself writing scrappy notes which I handed in to the ward desk. Seems to me it is vital that the folder should be open information which can be understood by everyone involved in the patients care.I know this is going off track but forgive me - the case on the news today about the new Mum given a drug used in epidurals instead of saline drip, because the packs are similar (and checks were not done). I don't believe for one minute that nurses using these have not thought at one time or another that the packs could do with clear colour coding to make it easier to use - and less likely to be used incorrectly by mistake. I wonder what is needed to get nurses to feel able to make suggestions in their work and make their jobs easier (all fr££ information). During our visits I made several observations concerning her feeding and was clearly told what amounted to nobody would listen and problem solve if the nurses raised the issue - but it would be a different matter if I wrote to the hospital. What on earth?I would have loved to have put the issues on a patient observation sheet in the notes folder, as they occurred, for the admin people to answer.
Sarah Felstead ● 6813d