Forum Topic

With all due respect Rosemary you have got it more than a bit wrong here.Commonsense needs to be applied in Motorway driving.If the traffic is slow moving and heavy, then its only common courtesy when say Lanes 1, 2, and 3 are all occupied,to ease back gently off the gas pedal and flash the vehicle coming in from your left to merge smoothly into the stream of traffic.Hopefully if the driver behind does the same for the next vehicle from the left, shooth interloking merging prevails, and all can progress. If everyone did that then you would avoid traffic backing up on the sliproads, this is just being realistic, and helping to keep traffic moving.Sticking to your 'rights' does nothing but annoy people and is one of the causes of 'road rage.If the traffic is much lighter and running freely then again commonsense comes in to play with situations at merging sliproads. It maybe that any vehicle accelerating down the slip road is far enough in front to let it in without any need for action. Accelerating to block such traffic off, as I have witnessed is both stupid and dangerous. I am sure Rosemary, that you don't come in to that category..I see no reason to have a problem however with moving in to lane 2 to let traffic merge smoothly from the left. it again allows traffic to flow freely, and indeed smooth merging and matching the speed of traffic already on the Motorway is part of good skilled driving which does require consentration, and commonsense to be applied.Indeed the Highway Code recomends much of this requirement for allowing a smooth flow of traffic. I have to say its a matter of assessing each situation on its merits and acting accordingly. I hope you are not offended by this, just a little friendly advice.

Colin Vaughan ● 6796d