"Name one [French invention] and I'll give you ten from the UK."- Aqualung (Cousteau, 1943)- Aneroid barometer (Vidie, 1843)- Battery - lead/acid (Plante, 1859)- Battery - Leclanché cell, from which today's dry cell batteries were developed (Leclanché, 1866)- Bicycle (Comte Mede de Sivrac, 1790)- Braille system of raised dots (Braille, 1829)- Gyroscope (Foucault, 1852)- Guillotine (1792, based on an idea by Guillotin)- Hot-air balloon (Montgolfier brothers, 1782)- Interchangeable parts - initially for gun manufacture, the basis for all mass production (Blanc, 1790)- Metric system (a committee of various scientists at the Academy of Sciences, Paris, directed by the French National Assembly, 1790-93)- Parachute (first demonstration by Lenormand, 1783)- Pasteurisation (Pasteur, 1862)- Pencil - modern type using kiln-fired powdered graphite (Conte, 1795)- Sewing machine (Thimonnier, 1830)Source: www.enchantedlearning.com, supplemented by Wikipedia.I await your list of 150 British inventions with interest!:-)(Sitting here in Paris this evening, I couldn't resist the challenge!)
Richard Jennings ● 6780d