Forum Topic

I found this very difficult.  A lot of children seem to get vast amounts plus everything they ask for.I wanted it to be a start of money management, yet I didn't want to be so mean that group cinema visits weren't possible. I also wanted to be able to stop pocket money as a sanction if necessary.In the end I think many of the money lessons were learnt elsewhere.  The mobile phone (everybody else has one) was bought with birthday/Christmas money and I still provide a £10 a month top-up. He learnt to stop friends pinching all his credit and be frugal with its use (texting is cheap) and of course can add more money if he wants to. With few words we can use it to keep in contact.  I could say where I was/which street I was parked in when collecting from matches etc, help with directions when the tubes were out and be updated on those first long trips back from Brixton Academy.As for the games machines (everybody else has one) the first one I succumbed under peer parental pressure to buy and regretted it.  I also very much regret the lack of control schools seemed to have over these expensive items.  I had hoped that if sneaked into school these distracting devices would be confiscated so was not amused instead to find that the teacher was playing it. Games for these machines are expensive so it is useful to find the second hand shops.  Instead of the incredible pressure to get everything that came on the market - gradually the requests became more considered for the games that had been tried out and were felt worth it.The free bus fares weren't available and he walked miles across Ealing. When he had a travel card he could also use it at weekends. We paid for school travelcards.Some of his friends consider me very mean; his cousin who has always had to do odd jobs for any pocket money considers him spoilt. It is a no-win situation.It all depends on what the money has to cover.  For us it was just small amounts of sweets - but then when parents we tried to avoid sweets (and the amounts packaged now tend to be excessive). Then it was records we saved up for - but music has changed. Buying on credit has completely changed our lives.So not quite the easy answer you were hoping for Gerry!

Philippa Bond ● 6778d