I well remember going to school in July 1944. I looked at the top of the road, opposite to where I was travelling and saw a couple of nurses coming out of the Clayponds Hospital. As I walked further towards the Great West Road (A4) I heard the distinctive sound of the doodle bug coming towards Simmonds Aeroccessories, now Lucozade building, I then heard the engine cut out, and it descended and landed on the hospital, which was flattened, I often think about that dark day,and what happened to those nurses, and of course the patients, also when I went back to my house we had suffered blast damage and my father was injured. I understand that the Germans were the first to bomb residential areas, allegedly the pilot who was responsible for this error was court-martialed. Bomber Harris then retaliated and bombed many German cities, Dresden, Hamburg, Cologne, and the one place Hitler had boasted would never be bombed, Berlin, he was supposedly frothing at the mouth at this audacious raid carried out I believe by both the R.A.F and our allies the U.S.A.F.
Account suspended ● 6762d