Forum Topic

My recipe for oxtail stew is quite different, it has a bit of a Jamaican slant.Heat the oven to a very low temperature, about gas mark 1/4 or less.First I soak the pieces in salted water for a few hours, then dry them off. Brown them all over in oil, very very well (just shy of burning is fine!) in a heavy casserole (I have a nice black cast iron thingy) and set aside.Drain off some of the oil/fat so there's enough left to fry some chopped onions, carrots, leeks, turnip and any other root veg you fancy - I tend not to put potatoes in this stew as it is best served with mashed potatoes to soak it up. Add some tomato paste, and a bottle or two of Guinness Export (the stuff made in Africa, 7.5% and much sweeter than the Irish stuff) depending on how much you are making. Add plenty of fresh thyme, possibly some sugar, and some salt. Bring to the boil for a couple of minutes to boil off the booze, and then add the browned oxtail pieces back in. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, skimming off the scum that rises from the meat. When the scum stops coming, just ensure that all the meat is covered by the liquid, put a lid on it, and put it in the oven.I then leave it to cook very slowly for at least 7 hours. Usually there's no need to interfere with it during this time, so I'll get it in the oven on a weekend morning and go out for the day. I've tried it for 5 hours but even then the meat can be a little chewy. The rest of the ingredients completely disintegrate.Normally I won't eat any of it on the same day, I'll leave it overnight to cool, then put it in the fridge in the morning. That night I'll skim off some (but not all!!!) of the fat that forms on the surface, and it's ready to either reheat and serve, or portion up for the freezer, etc.Best served with mashed potatoes or rice. Great winter warmer.I've been looking forward to seeing it back in the window at Richardsons.

Mark Dudley ● 6530d

Hello Mr Price,I'm the proprietor of this traditional butcher shop. It's good that you have concerns about how your food is sourced. We certainly do.We only sell English meat, this is because it is our policy to source our meat as locally as posssible. (more locally than the traders on Ealing Farmers Market in fact).Our most "local" supplier is David Jones from Mansfield farm in Uxbridge, from whom we get lambs in season. These are grazed on my own meadow in Iver Heath. We have beef this week from John Whitby at Rowley Farm in Iver Heath (opposite Black Park). The majority of our meat is bought live from local farmers on Thame market and killed close by in Witney, Oxon. We also buy some produce from Smithfield daily, but less so in recent years.We don't have a freezer on our premises as I believe that for good quality meat to be enjoyed at it's best, it should not have been frozen. Only lazy butchers have freezers! A few of my trade qualifications...Past President - National Federation of Meat and Food Traders.Past President - London Retail Meat Traders Assoc.Liveryman - Worshipful Company of Butchers.Member of the Institute of Meat.Member of the Royal Smithfield Club.Awards Board member - Meat Training Council.You'll do well to find a better qualified butcher in the country, let alone Ealing.I hope this goes some way to putting your mind at rest as to your concerns about where our meat comes from.I'm grateful to you for the opportunity to blow my own trumpet, so to speak.I'm happy to answer any other questions about my much loved trade. I reckon I'm a bit of an expert! One more thing... our free-range bronze turkeys will again this year be supplied by the excellent Howard Blackwell of Herons farm in Coggeshall. Google him.Seasons Greetings.Tony Luckhurst.A.J.Luckhurst & Sons.

Tony Luckhurst ● 6523d

Thanks for this information Tony. This discussion has been significant for me in the past week, and one of its effects was me buying a kilo of oxtail from you last Saturday, which I've been enjoying very much since (cooked to the recipe I posted elsewhere in the thread).I have to say I've held what may be a grossly incorrect opinion that perhaps your shop was a bit on the "budget" side..partly due to the location in West Ealing (where I grew up and still live although I'm now in the Northfields area) which is a bit run down and full of £1 stores...and especially with Sainsurys across the way competing with you. I won't buy meat from supermarkets generally, and when I do I only buy organic as it appears it's the only way to be reasonably assured of the animals having been treated well. With the way the supermarkets pressure prices down I have little confidence that their sources of meat aren't forced to cut corners and inevitably that means investment into their product (be it financial or in terms of ethical treatment). I prefer to pay more money for good meat less often, and where possible I prefer to buy from small businesses. I'm very local to Richardsons so I have mostly bought from them in the past 3 years. They're always happy to discuss their sources like yourself, a quality I think is essential from a customer's point of view. I won't buy chicken from them though as it's normally neither free range nor organic.It's great that you source your meat locally. However I'm also concerned not just with the locality of the source, but the quality of the husbandry and the care the animals receive. Would you be able to comment on this with regard to your store? I'm particularly interested in the pork and chicken, as I understand these tend to be the livestock that receive the worst treatment as a result of mass production.Also I read somewhere today, possibly on the West Ealing Neighbours website, that you will brine a brisket of beef for salt beef. Do you still offer that service?Many thanks.

Mark Dudley ● 6523d