Forum Topic

No, you’ll need to go on I’m afraid. It’s a shame you’ve just listed the same old whinges rather than anything substantive on policy or delivery. But it’s predictable too.  All we ever hear from the Tories on this forum is whingingLee Jasper – nothing proven, I’ve met him and he struck me as a sound bloke.  I’m willing to put money on a ‘no case to answer’ summary from the police investigation. Let’s hope he stripes London’s Finest Local Paper in the defamation court as a result.Rosemary Emodi. The silly moo got caught with her hand in the till, and paid the price for it.  All administrations suffer from people like this. Hell, even I’ve had to fire someone for fiddling their expenses, and it didn’t make me think about considering my position.Oliver Finegold. And your point is? Anyone who works for the Standard is worthy of nothing but contempt. Having re-read the transcript of the conversation I’ll agree it’s a weird exchange but that’s as far as it goes. Yusuf al-Qaradawi.  The respected moderate Muslim Scholar? Just because the right-wing press brands him a terrorist sympathizer doesn’t make him a terrorist sympathizer. Whilst I’m ambivalent on al-Qaradawi’s views on attacks on Israeli civilians, in the context of Israeli behavior against the Palestinians it is a perfectly valid position.  Plenty of people have been invited to London who out do al-Qaradawi in the Vile Views Ranking, and we even gave one of them a State Visit. And let’s not forget the Tory party cuddling up to the mass murdering former Dictator of Chile.Hugo Chavez. Again, your point is? I’m not keen on the idea of London accepting hand-outs from a Developing Nation.  But I’m more annoyed about bendy buses.

Gavin Gilbert ● 6749d

You may not regard these as rational, but the reasons I personally will not vote for Ken are as follows:I hated the way at the first mayor elections that instead of running for the job, he whored himself out to the media to drum up a tidal wave of support before ending up with a kind of "What you really want me to stand, oh, okay then"I'm not keen on the way he's so depirately attracting more and more people to London, but doesn't combine that with the joined up logic that more people to the city results in more congestion on the roads and more pressure on an already overloaded public transport systemI didn't like the way that on introducing the congestion charge, he announced that the prices wouldn't increase within 5-10 years (I can't remember the exact time scales) but then within a couple of years increased the cost by 60%Combining with a point above, the London Olympics will be Ken's legacy, but I still feel they're a very bad idea for London.  Yes it will regenerate a small area of East London, but at what cost?  Both to my back pocket and to reductions in investment to other parts of the country.  Couple that with the fact that it will further over-burden the roads/public transport system s I've already mentioned with competitors and spectators.There are other reasons, but this is already getting too lengthy.Of course, saying all that, I'm still waiting for David Giles (or anybody else) to post any reasons why Boris is not a blithering idiot and hence why I should vote for him, rather than constantly send messages to this forum why I should not vote for the bloke I'm not going to vote for

James Lockwood ● 6748d

A leading apologist and supporter of terrorism and suicide bombing is among the leaders of a group trying to win votes for Livingstone.Azzam Tamimi, a supporter of the Hamas terrorist organisation, is a leading member of a group called Muslims 4 Ken which is actively supporting the Labour Party's campaign re-elect Livingstone. Tamimi, has previously praised suicide bombers and even said he would volunteer personally for a suicide mission in the Middle East. In a BBC interview in 2004 he said: "If I can go to Palestine and sacrifice myself I would do it. Why not? Sacrificing myself for Palestine is a noble cause. It is the straight way to pleasing my God and I would do it if I had the opportunity." It was Tamimi who invited the radical Islamic preacher Yusuf al-Qaradawi to speak at a conference in London in 2004. Al-Qaradawi, who has defended suicide bombers and the persecution of homosexuals, was welcomed to City Hall and embraced by Livingstone. Al-Qaradawi is  a senior member of the Muslim Brotherhood, the extremist organisation that supports terrorism and which was banned in Egypt in 1954. He was banned from visiting the USA in 1999 because of his support for terrorism.In spite or perhaps because of all that he was enthusiastically embraced and welcomed by Livingstone.In 2006 Tamimi was the main speaker at a London conference backed by Livingstone held the day before the anniversary of the July 7 terror attacks. Do we really want a Mayor of London who is actively supported by people like Azzam Tamimi and Yusuf Al-Qaradawi? Do we want a Mayor of London who welcomes and embrace people who support suicide bombings against innocent people like the thousands of people who lost their lives in New York, Bali, Madrid and London?

David Giles ● 6741d