Thanks Robert and yes, I agree that Ealing is leading the way in what will hopefully be growing London-wide recognition of the need to do something to reduce landfill. We currently produce enough waste to fill the Albert Hall every two hours...However, I still wonder whether the actions taken to deal with food waste could be prioritised in a different manner:- funded short courses for those interested in home composting and gardening/growing veg - Designated local composting sites near allotments/garden centres/dense housing where ppl don't have individual gardens/local parks, for example, with a scheme whereby puchasing the 'produce' is discounted, and the profits going to the council. The council could continue to collect the produce but not have to drive it far away (how much are costs going to rise as oil prices shoot up anyway?)- local newspaper features on 'what to do with leftovers' etc- i live with a pastry chef and there's a lot of foodwaste coming from restaurants and suppliers (although not as much as you'd think since it's not very cost-efficient) so what to do with this? Apprently it's not legal to give it to homeless shelters any more in case ppl sue if they get sick (and claim it's food poisoning) - i don't know whether that's the case or whether it's more complicated than that but surely a charitable scheme of some sort could be organised to process excess supplies?I have lots more thoughts like these - and realise that some are more practical than others but I don't think that's a reason to dismiss them yet - and would love to hear from others who have ideas about this as it's through discussion that I hope we can keep pushing for improvements. As I say, I'm really pleased with Ealing council - but let's do more! PS. Finally, there are all the things linked in with food production and distribution - this is currently more of a central govt issue but I don't think it need be eg. engagement with local shops about using plastic alternatives for bags such as biodegradable corn-starch bags (see http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/apr/10/plasticbags.ethicalliving)And so on....Anyway, thanks for people's interest in the post and keep repling :0)
Tess Riley ● 6739d