Extraordinary bus driver's attitude
I was totally gobsmacked on Saturday when a driver on the E2 refused to open the front doors until I'd got off via the back ones. Has anyone else come across such a jobsworth?I'd been sat in one of the first seats anyway and usually get off at the front – unless there is a crowd or a pushchair to come on – even if I am going to be heading down the road rather than up it, as I like to say thank you to the driver on the way out. Well, not to this one! He didn't say anything at all and there was an embarrassing pause; a chap outside at the stop was clearly as confused as I. We were both just stood helplessly on opposite sides of the glass. I thought to ask: 'Doesn't this open?' The driver avoided my eyes but indicated the rear doors with a jerk of his thumb. Incredulous, I realised what was going on. Health & safety?! Regulations?!I said: 'You're not serious?' He stared fixedly ahead. The chap outside was tapping on the doors (it was raining slightly). This driver, this poor man must despise his job – and people – so very much. I just had to smile sadly and shake my head as I got off at the rear and walked up back past the now-open front doors...
Stuart Maddison ● 6736d6 Comments