Hi Dwight I was born in Ealing and now live mostly in Scotland,but partly in Ealing (not at the same time tho'),my wife is a Scot/Londoner. You don't need to do anything different at all,we've had Americans here before and most survived. It's just the same as going from the US to Canada,it gets colder and the accent changes...so bring warm clothes and waterproofs,and don't be afraid to ask whoever you're talking to,to "please repeat that slowly". The pace of life anyplace except Edinburgh and Glasgow is very much slower,don't expect a New York speed of service if you order a drink it could take a while,but will be more appreciated when it arrives. We've had folk from the USA stay here and the hardest thing they find is to get used to the driving,some roads in this area (Western Scotland) are very narrow,single track with passing places,the norm is for the driver closest to the passing space to back-up into it. For folk used to driving on the right,it's quite unerving backing up into a space that probably has a sheer drop on the blind side.If you survive the manouvre,you'll get a cheerie wave,give one back,they'll expect it! Personally I wouldn't drive in Edinburgh/Glagow,parking is a nightmare...use the tour buses,you'll get much more info from the tour guides than reading several books on the place.You can then walk around any places that caught your attention later."What should I do/not do when I'm there?" ENJOY yourself!!If you need more detailed info on anything,just shout,my boss will know the answer. ;O)
Tony Wood ● 6735d