Forum Topic

Alan, I do not think you will win many on this site over (inc Gerry) when you describe Ken as old, I think he is 62.......I also maintain my line on Ken's post bomb speech. He may have had a speechwriter (I don't know) but his contribution was just what was needed to calm London on that day and he made it with genuine passion.Another excerpt below.Ask again, how would Boris have coped....."Finally, I wish to speak directly to those who came to London today to take life.I know that you personally do not fear giving up your own life in order to take others - that is why you are so dangerous. But I know you fear that you may fail in your long-term objective to destroy our free society and I can show you why you will fail.In the days that follow look at our airports, look at our sea ports and look at our railway stations and, even after your cowardly attack, you will see that people from the rest of Britain, people from around the world will arrive in London to become Londoners and to fulfil their dreams and achieve their potential.They choose to come to London, as so many have come before because they come to be free, they come to live the life they choose, they come to be able to be themselves. They flee you because you tell them how they should live. They don't want that and nothing you do, however many of us you kill, will stop that flight to our city where freedom is strong and where people can live in harmony with one another. Whatever you do, however many you kill, you will fail."

Iain Muir ● 6728d

Ken has been in power for 8 years - he has brought in a congestion charge which has not alleviated congestion.  The streets are still chock-a-block.  He has brought in the Oyster card - good - and massive fare increases (bad)and more in the pipeline. He's pedestrianised Trafalgar Square -good for tourists, I suppose. Not on most people's list of urgent matters though.  Crime is definitely worse and the whole expense and aggro of travelling.  Not a day goes by without there being something wrong with the tube and it is dirty!  Buses are overcrowded at peak times and get snarled up in traffic, despite the whole of London being covered in bus lanes.  Ealing Council pays for your bus pass with almost a blank cheque to the GLA.  Residents must have more openness on expenditure and payments. Only Boris is committed to that.  It is spooky to travel at night on public transport because there are no guards and no sign of immediate help. Boris will increase the police presence on station platforms by adding 50 transport police. London is not as safe as it should be.  The Ealing Council taxpayer has paid for 50 extra PCSO and crime in Ealing is less than the London average.  Boris has pledged to increase measures for fighting anti-social behaviour and crime from giving police more handled weapon scanners for tackelling violent crime to introducing New York style crime mapping so residents can see where crime takes place and not just rely on our own experiences and hearsay. I could go on and on and on.Ken has failed London and Londoners.  Has he monitored our interests in the Olympic Games for which Londoners are paying?  It seems that we are being taken for a ride over costs.  I must stop now otherwise I shall be at this all night! Thank goodness it will be over on Friday and my blood pressure can revert to normal.

Barbara Yerolemou ● 6728d