The councillors of Strathfield took a voluntary pledge in 2005 and there was a think-tank report in 2001 (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/may/03/politicalnews.uk) which suggests it could have some merit. I think just about every other level of governmental office requires an oath, I may be wrong, why not councillors?Strathfield's Councillors on 29 March 2005 proclaimed a commitment to the Municipality of Strathfield by making a Pledge to the Community, confirming their intention to carry out their role impartially, to the best of their ability, and in the best interests of the municipality.The pledge reads:"We, the elected Council of the Municipality of Strathfield, are honoured to serve the community of the Municipality of Strathfield and promise to fulfil our duties to the best of our ability. We are committed to open and accountable government and will act, at all times, in the interests of the community, without favour, and in accordance and with the respect of the law." On taking the Oath of Office, the Mayor Cr Bill Carney stated "We are making it our duty as Councillors to comply with the Pledge to the Community. We are taking the pledge to show our commitment to the community in return for their confidence in us"I know full well it will never happen but a suggestion for part of an oath could be along the lines of 'if it is not broken I will not fix it'. Now is that a paradox or what?
Peter Wright ● 6706d