Okay so I've returned from another mission on the hill.This time I set off from Horsenden Farm. I had thought this would be a thriving centre for families and tourists. I was expecting some sort of agricultural activity as well. But this is not the case. Sadly, as with much of Jason Stacey's Ealing, it is a boarded up abandoned shell (check out the Bunny Park zoo). I wonder if Jason is planning to bring in some tumble-weed?I see what you mean about there being a better view in winter from the triangulaion point/summit of Horsenden Hill. I suppose we're better off keeping the trees up there - it being ancient woodland and all.I brought with me sun hat, drinks, binoculars ... but no compass. And consequently I led the expedition east instead of north. I had been hoping to conquer the other hill and take in the view I had glimpsed from Whitton Road by the allotments. I'll have to save that pleasure for another day.Instead I led myself and two kids across land given over for use by golfers - Horsenden Hill Golf Club. Is there something in the Domesday Book that safeguards the divine right of blokes that want to hit little balls with a stick? I object to the fact that so much of North Ealing has been sacrificed for this sport. Surely it's not that popular! Wouldn't it be better for the environment if all these Golf Courses were left for nature to take over? I live right next to Brent Valley Golf Course, and they're forever driving smelly noisy vehicles around the place, performing some pointless grass manicuring task - followed of course by the spreading of tons of iron sulphate.Finally, to round off the day with something else that was going to annoy or appal me, I stopped for a drink at the Ballot Box. Also known as the Whacky Warehouse. It's supposed to be a kids' wonderland isn't it? But the less than ample play facillities are closed off for some reason! And the all pervading atmosphere of filth and desperation was neatly capped off by the fact the packet of peanuts I bought was encrusted with an indescribable sticky 'matter'.Apart from all this, however, I had a super weekend and am looking forward to returning to Horsenden Hill.Have a great week everybody!
Alan Anderson ● 6667d