There are some important differences between a tip/gratuity and a service charge and also the ways in which these are paid, collected and distributed. I now routinely ask for the "optional service charge" to be removed from the bill and then leave a cash tip for the service - assuming a tip is deserved by the staff, of course, which it usually is. What many (but it must be said not all) companies are doing is using this "optional" service charge to supplement their staff wages, meaning that effectively the staff are being paid well below minimum wage with a top-up from the service charges being used to bring them up to minimum wage, and the rest just goes straight to the restaurants' bottom line without them even having to pay VAT on it as they do on the actual bill (the food part). The Independent's website is a useful source of info on this particular subject as it has been running a "campaign for fairer tipping" recently: http://independent.co.uk/tipping - there are numerous articles on the subject you can read there, including a few "name and shame"s of chains who are paying staff below minimum wage and topping up with "optional" charges, but this link gives a good summary: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/tipping--the-unpalatable-truth-867545.html Recently in the west country I was pleased to find that when paying my bill a waitress explained quite clearly that the service charge was optional and was only too pleased to remove it from the bill at my request (I left a cash tip). On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago at Okawari in Ealing Broadway, one of my favourite restaurants, the waitress seemed confused and almost distressed at my request to remove it. This may have been due to her being less than fluent in English, perhaps she was simply taken aback at the idea that I thought the service was not good enough (I tried to explain that as always I was very happy with my meal and I would be tipping in cash to acknowledge this). My understanding of a "cover charge" is that it is for things like the bread basket and olives type thing that many restaurants will put on your table without you asking. It's not something I see often.
Mark Dudley ● 6624d