Forum Topic

To be honest, I think it's inevitable really.  Whilst there's this continued obsession to attract more companies and investment into London, there will be a greater and greater need for more and more people to live in London.  There will get a time when there's no more land to build more homes on, so the only other alternative is to go up.  With Crossrail getting approval, Ealing seems a logical place for such a development to be located.I was often surprised by Livingstones thinking on this - he was despirate to get more companies into London, yet had an issue with the logical results of this (ie ever increasing house prices, central congestion and hence the charge).There's also been a lot of comment on this forum about the loss of shops, or the down-turn in the make-up of the shops (I'm pointing at the comments about Primark).  Perhaps the retail areas within these proposals will give Ealing an enlarged shopping area to make it a viable challenger to Westfields, and hence more shops would be encouraged back.Personally, I think there's only a small amount that can be added in terms of residential property to London, as its transport networks (ie roads, tube, rail etc) are above capacity already during the 'rush hours'.  We despirately need to attract companies to the UK, but situate themselves in more cities across the country, or encourage London based companies to move to other cities.  Not only would this ease the burden on London, it will help address the north/south divide

James Lockwood ● 6628d