40 Medals, I take it all back.
With 3 days still to go in the 2008 Olympics we are only one short of the total medals predicted by Sports Minister Gerry Sutcliffe (41)I laughed at that, cynical old me,but I was wrong Gerry Sutcliffe must be the most successful Minister, after the Labour Government of the time appointed Dennis Howell as Minister for the Drought in 1976, a week after it rained ,and in a few months the drought was broken.I think Dennis was Sports Minister at some stage as well. Being Sports Minister is to some a bit of a 'CINDERELLA POST'maybe. But Gerry Sutcliffe must have done his homework on this one. Just this once perhaps we have someone in a post who feels comfortable with it, and knows something about the subject it would appear.Now you can argue about the merits of how the Medal Table is formulated, and personally I think size of population in relation to success might be better, but thats for another thread maybeAnyway our success as a Nation makes me feel good, whatever the anti sport cynics might think otherwise.
Colin Vaughan ● 6614d10 Comments