Colin, you might be right.Aldi, Lidl, and Netto have all tended to open shops (I hate the word store) in cheaper locations. This must give them an advantage in fixed overheads. This is definitely reflected in their prices. Overall, IMO the quality is as good as Morrison, Tesco, Sainsbury, Waitrose and so on.I think it's really a question of convenience and what is available in the shops. If I lived in Hanwell I would use Lidl for basics, Greenford has the benefit of Lidl and Tesco.West Ealing has Sainsbury and Waitrose. Ealing Broadway has Tesco, and Acton has Morrison and a baby(?) Netto. For Aldi there is Hounslow and West Drayton.Where the Aldi/Lidl/Netto really score for me is their non-food offerings - eg domestic electronics and household goods. The prices are far lower than most other shops, and just as good. My satellite TV system was from Lidl a couple of years ago - about £75 all up. Fantastic! OK, it's not Sky, but I don't (and won't) pay subscription fees, but with a dish motor (Maplin £50) I get all the European channels for free.DIY power tools and kitchen tools are fantastic value for money.The only downside to this is that these items are generally are only available for a few days at a time and often sell out quite quickly, but sometimes not.I must add the disclaimer that I am only a very satisfied customer of Aldi (German), Lidl (German), and Netto (Danish) supermarkets.
Alan Brainsby ● 6570d