Halifax bank - can they do this to me ??
I paid a cheque for 2 thousand pounds (a present from my uncle) into my account at the Halifax. It’s not my main account – I use it mainly for my dole money when I’m “resting” (increasingly frequently at the moment :o( ) My card got swallowed at a cash machine and, when I investigated, the bank said that because I had never before paid in a cheque for so large an amount they had suspended my account while they investigated. I appreciate that the cheque was large and “suspicious” but surely the professional way to proceed would have been via my uncle’s bank and get confirmation from him that all was well? The numpties at Halifax now want my uncle to write them a letter (he’s in his eighties!) – they even wanted him to provide a bank statement, (I kyboshed that). I then insisted that they at least gave me my dole money – which they did. But before they’ll release any of “my” 2 thousand they want me to take in passport, utility bills, blah blah blah to prove who I am – in which case why give the smaller amount?That it’s a nonsensical way for a bank to behave is self evident, but are they acting within banking law / regs.I am so angry.
Viv Ellis ● 6528d7 Comments