Sara - myself and a number of colleagues in the company I work for are being made redundant.The credit crunch has hit the industry I'm in badly, as it's largely dependent on healthy mortgage and retail markets, both of which are suffering. This after it invested many millions in a couple of acquisitions last year in the mortgage/insurance broking market at what in hindsight was just at the wrong time (just before the credit crunch started). We've seen a few clients go under in the time since.The company, a multinational, is far from in danger of collapse, so they're saying it's a "change of strategy" rather than a cost cutting exercise. They're chopping a number of people. There are 4 of us in my role at the moment, and they're chopping it down to 2 "similar but different" roles which we were invited to apply for. Out of the 4 they only offered 1 of us a position. Others in other depts are being downsized into redundancy too.Not sure about prospects, but a fairly massive change of lifestyle is about to take place, I think (not that I have a choice in the matter). At least I have no dependents.On the plus side, I won't have to commute to Slough any more, and hopefully won't ever have to see it again after Thursday.
Mark Dudley ● 6511d