It's and its: a common error The words it's and its are commonly confused: the apostrophe of omission (it's) is confused with the possessive (its). It's always means it is or it has , and is never to be used in place of the possessive its. Example: It's a beautiful day = it is a beautiful day (the apostrophe simply indicates the contraction; it stands in for the missing 'i'.) In formal writing, unless it would be awkward, it is best to avoid this contraction, as I have just this moment avoided it in this sentence (not 'it's best to avoid…'). BUT the possessive use does not take an apostrophe . Examples: The cat sat on the mat. Its fur was smooth and dark. The qualities of Macbeth that most strike us on first reading are its brevity and passion. I do not know which of its characteristics I admire most. Its (the possessive) takes no apostrophe because it is on a par with the other possessives, his and her: his head, her head, its head.
Penny Crocker ● 6413d