Forum Topic

Now that I've lowered the tone a bit (although I do feel it's important to document the creativity of the local young artistic community!) I'll attempt to raise it a bit again.What really WAS beautiful was spending a few hours walking around the area between 1:30 - 4am on Sunday night/Monday morning.I'd been holed up in a dark room with the blinds down, watching DVDs for hours, and I was just on my way to bed when I happened to look through a window in another room and noticed how much snow had fallen and that it had settled. So despite being tired and ready to sleep, I got dressed again (very dressed in fact) and picked up the camera & tripod and went out trudging through powdery virgin snow, even in the middle of the roads as seemingly it was only me and the foxes making the first impressions in the new landscape.I climbed through a hole in the fence into Lammas Park and wandered around there, it was great, completely silent and a little eerie.There's still a lot of snow in both parks today but it's heavily trodden on now and the paths are slippery with compacted snow. I could easily run through the streets on my night walk as it was still all powder.On Monday morning I was most annoyed to hear the BBC describe the event as "the worst snowfall in the south east for 18 years". Worst? Seemed wonderful to me. I could understand if they said "heaviest" or "deepest" but "worst" sounded more like the opinion of business than news.Anyway, here are 20 or so more interesting shots that I took. Again, you'll need to copy/paste the link into your browser: http://cerpintor.smugmug.com/gallery/7259676_JtMFn#P-1-15Some were taken during my night walk, the rest at Monday lunchtime. The night shots were taken around Northfields Ave, Lammas Park, Culmington Road and Mattock Lane. The day shots are all in either Walpole or Lammas parks. They're not really focusing on the sculptures, more the atmosphere that the snow created, which was very noticeable. There was a lot more interaction between strangers than happens normally, a lot of conversations that would never otherwise have taken place.

Mark Dudley ● 6448d