Sara,I thought it was obvious I was talking about single mums like this one.Fecklesss,from a long line of feckless layabouts.Anyway,that's who I mean.I agree that a major part of the problem is absentee fathers,but when you consider in a single parent family there are sometimes 4 or 5 fathers(poor Shannon Matthews ring any bells?) it does make you wonder.One thing is for sure,imo,we have to get the idea of benefits for life,more kids=bigger council house,and address all the general problems and difficulties that some single parents have and present to society when bringing kids up,especially boys up as they get older.We have to break the cycle of deprevation that has created an underclass.You can't make an omelette without bereaking eggs.I do have sympathy for young single mums,but one's who have 3 kids by three different men?We are in danger of forgetting their life chances in this too.They are not baby making machines.They could be learning skills at college or uni.or have a career.
Keith Iddon ● 6437d