Re Rumours in the newspapers yesterday that Banks are seriously considering charging customers (even those in credit) a monthly fee just for having a bank account! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx I am afraid Jean, the Banks just dig themselves deeper in the public's displeasure, a) for helping to get us into this mess, b) for paying themselves outrageously for doing so and c) screwing the savers mercilessly in the process. I am a Premier customer of HSBC and have 5 accounts of various types, 2 current accounts with which I used to get monthly interest but no longer despite the amounts therein are " useful ". There is a Cash Isa for which they now pay me half of what I could get elsewhere as a " normal " client, an Investment Account under which they have made for me less than 1% growth over a 4 yr period, and to cap it all, there is a HIGH Interest Deposit account. 4 weeks ago I phoned to learn the rate of interest in it, 1% was the answer, despite if I activate the automatic overdraft on one of the Current accounts HSBC charge me ( a Premier customer! )at 12%. 2 weeks ago that almighty 1% was reduced by HALF to 0.5 % so what it is now after the latest Bank Rate drop, I shudder to think. So they have my money and lend it back to me at 24X the rate. I am toying with idea of teling them where to shove their Premier connection.
Tony Price ● 6417d