Forum Topic

I am quite impressed with the service which I have had at Perceval House on the very few occasions I have been there. When I visit, I do go in trepidation, because I have had so very many bad experiences with other councils. But so far so good.But 4.5 hours (I hope you timed it) is totally out of order.As I have said elsewhere all Councils jump when you do a FORMAL first stage complaint. Your rage, upset should enable your first letter to cover every point.If disatisfied with the response to this you say just that rather than waffle, and escalate to STAGE 2, and similarly with STAGE 3 and then to the Ombudsman. This is where Councils are vulnerable, and so they hate the use of the statutory process.You ask for an apology, money lost (with paperwork), money for your distress, a change of procedure or policy, restoration or whatever else.This sounds heavy, but it is not if your first letter is good. The stages mean a junior,middle and senior person in that order respond to your complaint.A council officer might well say, why not just informally complain before using the statutory procedure. It is up to you. Nowadays I fnd that charming persuasion works better than other approaches, however furious I feel. There are people to complain to instead, but the statutory route (you don't have to fill in a form) gets heads in gear. Other routes only might.However my complaint about managers refusing to come out of a meeting is a strong sign that customers come second. Many Councils suffer from this affliction. Some of us complain because that is what is so wrong about Councils. Customer service skills have been with us for how long? I would like Ealing to be the best. Come on Phil.

George Knox ● 6405d

Ali. While it is very true that people either cannot or will not use the easy to use complaints system, equally there are many people who are perfectly able to do so.So if more people used this democratic tool more frequently then managers in meetings might start more often to say ‘Oh we have a customer services problem. Let’s go and deal with it right now and then resume the meeting’ That’s what I and hundreds of my colleagues used to do years ago. These people would not have a job if we did not pay them. So that is an example of where a complainant could challenge policy. Which generation had the more positive and less arrogant attitude?While I often disagree with C Phil Taylor, at least he has made a response. OK we would like to know more about improvements and he has does not have the best of records in giving fulsome answers. But unlike the majority of the cabinet members he does engage in the diminishing democratic process.Well done Viv. If you are not happy with the response and your first letter was excellent, then a 2 liner saying simply – not happy now, next FORMAL stage please, should/may suffice. You may wish to keep your powder dry and argue a bit at third stage. It’s your decision.You may have to wait patiently as the Local Government Ombudsman recently said ‘The target time for councils to respond when we make enquiries is 28 days. Your Council’s averageresponse time to enquiries is 36.2 days, an increase for the second year. This is a matter of concern.’ But Viv, you will get an answer.According to the LGO’s last report Ealing came out in the top 5 of London Boroughs which had the most  complaints. Boroughs like Barnet and Hillingdon came down much lower even though the population in those boroughs is high. Happy Hackney was higher, but then that borough has had a history of maladministration going back decades. No wonder elsewhere we complain that Ealing is going downhill. Phil usually gets energised on this and there are some small improvements. But they are just not good enough at all, and he knows it.The LGO has told Ealing that he offers extremely good courses in learning how to deal with complaints. If this goes on for many more years, the Council may wish to consider sacking the senior manager, and without a Fred Goodwin pension.Phil, back to the classroom please.

George Knox ● 6405d

Viv,As you have raised your case in a public forum I wish to respond to it in that same forum but I wish to respect your privacy by not going into the details of your case.  I do think that you had to wait too long and for that I apologise.  I also think that you have not given a complete account of your experience.  I understand that a response was sent to you by the officer that you wrote to on 25th March.  Your letter, which you kindly copied to me, was dated 17th March.  The response was delayed slightly due to that officer being on annual leave.  Please let me know if you have not seen this letter.  The response details the actual times recorded by the ticketing system.  I am very familiar with this system from my visits to Customer Services and I am confident that the times are accurate.  Whilst you claimed here that you were kept waiting for four and a quarter hours the records show that you had already left when you were called for your third transaction two and three quarter hours after you arrived.  I accept that this is a long time but you needed to complete some complicated business with the council at a time that a lot of other people were also trying to complete their own complicated business with the council.  Once it had been established that yours was not a simple council tax enquiry you were placed in a long queue to see a specialist officer but you were placed on that queue as if you had joined it when you first arrived.  Once you main transaction was completed you then wanted further information and regrettably you needed to be placed in a third queue to get this from a different specialist officer.

Phil Taylor ● 6389d