"To think someone not only sits down and dreams up this tripe, and no doubt committees sit and discuss each word at great length, but has the gall to publish it."It's not tripe, quite the opposite. They are trying to get councils to stop spouting the sort of management-speak that ordinary people don't understand. The full list of 200 words, together with examples of better alternatives, is athttp://www.lga.gov.uk/lga/core/page.do?pageId=1716341"Welcome" is in the list as an adjective, as in "a welcome decision". They suggest "necessary" or "needed" or "a step in the right direction". I think that one is actually a bit borderline, but I'm certainly in favour of avoiding words like "revenue streams", "paradigm" and "leverage" when writing for the general public.For example, a random sentence from Ealing's site is: "The council’s role is concerned with ... rationalising engagement of employers." I have no idea what that means.
Richard Jennings ● 6383d