Forum Topic

I hope I don't upset the line of argument/thinking but a set of recent events made me realise that traffic light infringements like a large number of moving traffic offences are not supervised/enforced at all. Indeed the police told me twice that the police don't do road safety. Who does? well I suppose the Local Authority but who in the local authority? Certainly not the traffic wardens. I try to cross the Lido junction from Naughty knicker shop to NW bank wait for red light and hey ho 2 cars shoot red light. This is a difficult crossing for pedestrians so for vehicles to follow the law is important for pedestrians safety. Anyone attempting to enforce this NO. Motorists parking next to this bank's hole in the wall so the buses can't turn into the Uxbridge Road....police reaction "Write to a councillor". So what is all this talk about cyclists when we can't get the paying motorist sorted out. My last thought if you will forgive me. When I cycled to Amsterdam I was very impressed by lorry drivers who you could see very carefully checking in their mirrors before any turning movements when cyclists were around. Why because they were cyclists and so was their wife their mum in law and their daughter and son. I particularly remember the smoke from the tyres of one lorry because he missed seeing the first time and checked a second time and stopped rapidly to allow a cyclist through before crossing the cycle track....as though his life depended on it. Perhaps the law is different in the Netherlands. I do think that you do look at the whole problem more carefully if you have the opportunity to use all transport modes so when I'm in a car and a cyclist "carves me up" I know I am protected by steel and he /she just has cloth and thin air and I let it go and you can tell when some cyclists are shakey and you give them an enormous wide birth even if other drivers hoot you. Hope this helps.

Arthur Breens ● 6371d