Around 10.30am this morning just past the junction of Popes Lane and South Ealing Road, on the Little Ealing Primary School side my wife and I witnessed a terrible accident involving a 4*4 hitting a cat on the the road. Needless to say it was very upsetting. What compounds this is that the driver of the 4*4, who was traveling east bound and didn't appear to be speeding from our view point and had no chance of avoiding the cat, didn't stop after hitting it.The cat was being chased by another cat at the side of the street and hence it ended up running on to the road unawares of the traffic. There were other cars around at the time and certainly one following closely behind the 4*4 traveling east bound. If you saw what happened or were the driver please get in touch.My wife and I have informed the owner of the cat.
Paul Beattie ● 6275d8 Comments
Very sad, and distressing to witness.To be fair, the driver of the 4X4, sitting up high and looking ahead, may not even seen the poor cat dash out from the side. And it’s unlikely he/she even felt it either.
Chris Calvi-Freeman ● 6275d
I believe that you're not legally obliged to stop for the death of a cat, but are for a dog. Is that right? Does sound as if the cat was to blame. Had it run out of lives?
Susan Kelly ● 6275d
You are correct. The law puts man's best friend as at a higher value than a moggy.
Graham Weeks ● 6275d
But a cats life is worth as much as a dogs. I´d say the driver was aware of hitting the cat but couldn´t be bothered to stop. I hit a cat in my car once and I stopped to try to find it, no problem.
Karin Town ● 6274d
If I hit a deer and kill it (and living here, one day I probaly will), I can't keep it but the car following behind can, how daft is that. I wonder if my passenger can keep it though?
Peter Wright ● 6273d
My cat was run over by a white van driver down my road and he knew he hit it as stopped and then just drove off again. It was my neighbours who come out and were very saddened by the events along with my other cat who couldn't understand why he wouldn't get up to play. I know its not law that they have to stop but appreciate it is somes beloved pet. I stopped and tracked an owner of a dead cat that had been hit by my mums and i wasnt the person who hit it but as a cat owner i know what it is like to lose one.
Tracy Burke ● 6270d
Fortunately, the driver did not instinctively try and avoid the cat, perhaps causing damage or injury to another party.
Colin J Murphy ● 6270d
December last year we drove along a road at night and I saw deer grazing, within twenty minuets that spot was going to be the site of a fatal accident with no other car involved. I'm convinced the driver instinctively swerved to avoid a deer and hit a tree.I've had cats all my life and lost them to road accidents or to the vet, the worst way is when they just disappear, luckily for us (and the cat) never permanently.
Peter Wright ● 6269d