I too hate what the foxes do to litter, rubbish bins and the shrieking in the early hours.I'm not sure if anyone remembers, but a few years ago I made a post about Mr Heron getting my fish in my fish pond. Since then we tried several deterrants - plastic heron (encourages them), netting, ultrasonic deterrent, to no avail.Then we found a water "spitter" that detects motion in the garden and spits a jet of water in an arc at whatever triggered it - see one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WATER-PEST-REPELLER-ANIMAL-CHASER-PEST-CONTROL-650_W0QQitemZ330364252114QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV?hash=item4ceb3e6fd2&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14It is the best deterrent to both herons AND foxes in the garden. The only thing is, you need to remember to switch it off when you / guests are in the garden, otherwise, there are loads of opportunities for comedic dousings! It is a bit NIMBY, but seriously, they don't come into mine any more, and it doesn't harm a hair on their body!With regards to the council, I'd have thought that they might at least catch the really mangy foxes that are on their way down and out of this world, of which there are plenty in the winter. Maybe they could undertake a male sterilisation programme too (on the basis it is probably the simplest/cheapest way to do it), but I wonder if it would really reduce their numbers sufficiently?
Melissa Davies-Wright ● 6207d