Forum Topic

Melissa,I think that Mr Davis is being a bit disingenuous.  He is mixing up a lot of issues.  What I think he really wants is unrestricted free parking for himself and his staff to commute but he sees other people's commuting as being a problem.  This is called having your cake and eating it.  As someone who has commuted into London on public transport for 20 years I am not sure I see the equity in giving one group parking privileges above other groups.  Why should someone commuting to a shop on Northfield Avenue say have different priority to someone wanting to park at Northfield station so that they can commute?  Mr Davis needs to tell us what he thinks about the mechanisms that are in place to allow businesses to operate.  For instance, we usually provide free Stop and Shop parking for customers of business in secondary shopping areas.  Are there enough of these?  Do they work?  I frequently use South Ealing Road and Northfield Avenue shops and find I can park easily when I need to.  Tradesmen can buy £1 an hour service vouchers to allow them to park in any CPZ.  Clearly these need to be charged for at a rate that discourages abuse.  The fee has not changed for four years.  Obviously tradesmen, etc can always ask their customers for visitors' vouchers when they visit a customer - I always have a stock in hand for both my personal visitors and people doing work for me.  Do these mechanisms work?  Where I have my business in Hammersmith I have to pay £2.40 an hour at a Pay and Display machine to park in a CPZ.  Finally, businesses can buy business parking permits.  These cost £250 which is less than £1 a day for every day a shop is open.  Hardly expensive I think.  This rate has not changed for four years.  Again, where I have my business in Hammersmith business permits are £751 for the first and £1,244 for the second and you cannot have any more after that.  Is Ealing's charge reasonable?  I suspect most people would agree that it is.  The council does not rush to put in CPZs for the simple reason that they are not popular unless there is real parking pressure.  They are expensive to put in and with the charges we levy they cost money to run.  If people consistently ask for them and consultation results come back positively we will put them in but recent consultations in the Northfield have largely rejected expansion of CPZs. 

Phil Taylor ● 6161d

Judy Breens writes: The problem with Phil and Melissa's comment is that the business £250 permits are only for "Operational Vehicles". This means a business has to prove it needs the permit for use during the working day. (e.g. a delivery van) These permits are NOT for staff who work in the business. I know two business owners who were refused these permits although they needed to get to the bank, buy and bring back stock etc. Similarly, Phil's other suggestion: the 1 hr business permit. This is not for staff working on the business's own premises either.Kingsdown Residents' Association has made the following suggestion to Councillors. It could be one way of organising worker parking in the only available Northfields space (the kerbside) with minimum disruption to residents. As it would be "outside current Council policy" it could be seen as an experimental scheme in our area. If it worked well it could be a extended to other areas. In CPZs resident business's could be given, on a "need" basis CPZ permits for a limited number of essential staff at the same cost as residents. The Council is obliged by the Dept of Transport to encourage and facilitate business "green travel plans". Such CPZ staff permits could be linked to the production and effective implementation of an agreed business Green Travel Plan. Workers who start very early, mothers and others who have care duties needing reliable journeys and workers with long complex journeys are examples of those who could be granted a permit. To ensure a fair spread of vehicles, permits would need to be allocated to designated streets. A "free for all" would not work. If workers have to walk a bit, so be it. Better than having no parking. We think the permit cost should be the same as residents. Why not? If we residents get a good deal in Ealing (as Phil rightly indicates) why shouldn't it be the same for those who work for us? Workers in Northfield businesses are not paid like city bankers and neither are the business owners.

Arthur Breens ● 6159d