Forum Topic

Please let me know if you find this easy or difficult to understand, orneed help.Blanking a hard disc:  A simple re-format leaves data which could be recovered, a re-format combined with over-writing every bit of data within the filing system can still leave data, including a virus, on the first few sectors of the disc, so I use a combination of methods.  I normally use a computer running either on an installed Linux operating system or a bootable "Live" Knoppix DVD or CD. Knoppix will not install anything or write to your discs unless you instruct it to do so. I will assume that you are using Knoppix, any Linux will provide similar facilities.  You will need administrator status to be able to re-format the disc, but there is no administrator password configured for the Knoppix disc so do not attempt to provide one.  Shut down the computer and remove the mains power before connecting the drive to the computer. If you are using Knoppix place the disc in the CDROM drive and then boot the computer.  The hard disc drive will be named according to its type and location. A partition on an IDE connected drive will be listed as /dev/hdxn, while a partition on most other kinds of disc will be /dev/sdxn, where x is replaced by a, b, c, d.... and n is the partition reference number. Ensure that you are looking at the correct drive by examining its contents using the Knoppix disc facilities. (There may be a drive icon on screen depending on the version of Knoppix in use).  Close any window that displays the disc contents and then "unmount" (dismount or forget the contents of the disc) the disc, usually click with the righthand mouse button over the disc icon to select the menu and select unmount.  Open a text "terminal" window, and obtain administrator privilege by entering "su". You may also need to enable disc writesusing the righthand mouse button menu.  You can blank the first few sectors by copying from a series of zeros:dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx or according to the type of discdd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx  You can cancel the above after a short time using or leave it to continue until it runs out of disc space.  Next install a single large partition covering the entire available disc space, mark the partition bootable, and write the new partition table usingcfdisk /dev/hdx (or perhaps /dev/sdx)  You should find cfdisk fairly obvious to use, including deleting unwanted partitions, creating new partitions, and marking the first partition as bootable.  Next format the entire partition and write-then-read a series of patterns to the entire space on the partition using mke2fs. The e2fs format is a Linux format, not understood by standard Microsoft, and any faulty sectors found will be listed. This will take a long time depending on the size of disc and processor speed, I just leave it running and wait until it has finished. It is the "-c -c" that instructs it to do a full write-then-read test with multiple patterns which will over-write every part of the disc within the partition at least three times.mke2fs -c -c /dev/hdx1 (or /dev/sdx1)  The disc will need to be re-formatted for use with Microsoft, but you can use a simple fast format.

Chris Bell ● 6064d

Meow!  Actually I have a first from Oxford and a Phd.Don't get me wrong, I do really like the spirit of open source and also agree that the success of a certain software company may be down to marketing rather than quality products, but it is the standard by which everything else is measured.It's great you have found yourself a little hobby, but whenever I hear conversations or read about open source and how fantastic it is, I think of the Firefox browser which doesn't work half the time and the answer from the freeware fans is always that the "site isn't coded properly".  Maybe that's correct but it still doesn't alter the fact that the user cannot view the site they want to.I have used Knoppix, used the Live rescue CD, it ran, eventually, once and now runs for a few minutes before just stopping, it's not reliable.  I've also used GParted to format an SD card for a very obscure system.  It worked but I've only used it the once and very much doubt I'll use it again.The average user simply isn't interested in what's under the bonnet, they just need a computer that works.  Maybe this is why the seminars advertised on this site a while back didn't get many takers?  Out of interest, how many exactly?A new computer is purchased with an OS and is used until it dies or is replaced.  I know I don't need a mail server at home nor do I need a file server.  What I do need to do is to complete a work document at home sometimes.  I do not want to mess around with converters or funny little toyware programs that are nearly compatible but free, I need the real thing, suitable for a professional to compete in the business world.Back to the topic now, Faith, give Personal Computer Solutions a call on 020 8567 3800, he sounds like he will be able to help you out.  Never used the shop myself but it's good to know his services are more than "here's your new PC".

G Lord ● 6060d