Forum Topic

The Squash Club is also developing a large pool, albeit subscription.  When it comes to theatre, both may be provincial in nature but I am not sure that Questors is outshone by the Richmond Theatre - it is somewhat better known outside.The department store (Bentalls) and cinema (large screen with steep tiers so you could see it without heads obstructing) were both good but have gone for commercial/redevelopment reasons.I think the point you're missing though is that Ealing is a suburb, not a town - it has enough to do locally that it is by no means a dormitory, but you can't just say "bar the transport links" and overlook that these are key to the place.  If I want a 'proper' theatre I can be at the National Theatre in half an hour via Brentford station, or drive in.  On Sundays we go to the Royal Academy by car up the A4 and park right outside within half an hour door to door.  We cycle around freely within Ealing down quiet roads without resorting to "professional cyclist" lycra gear, but can get to other parts of London quickly by other means.  It's self-contained for enough things (especially foodie things), but accessible for others. It's a suburb.  Being able to get to neighbouring areas is kind of the point, I think.I disagree with you about restaurants, btw - it depends what you're after.  Sushi-Hiro is arguably the most authentic sushi place in England.Anyway, by all means look in Richmond or Fulham.  You may find you can't afford them, is the only thing. I mean, I like Ealing but I'd rather be in South Kensington; the reason I'm not is cost.

Gerald Cabb ● 6100d

Ealing (W5/W13) is probably fortunate in that much of its housing stock is relatively modern being built in the 20th century. Most of this housing stock is family sized. Because of this and, arguably, just a few small factories it became a middle-income stronghold. Much of this remains.We also enjoy a large number of open spaces, some of which, in my opinion, are too open, that is, near treeless.W5/W13 is also relatively low-rise domestic building which is slowly being eroded (and I think some of it is possibly illegal in terms of density).Anyway the legacy from in the last century is where we are today. Department stores flourished until we all got our cars and could drive to cheaper retail outlets. Ealing had a professional theatre in The Broadway which in turn became a cinema, and then was demolished, and the site redeveloped as the largest W H Smith of its time.  I suppose one can say we don't have any cinemas in Ealing either, let alone a professional theatre, the Questors, although quite good, is amateur.Ealing's crime rate is lower than average for London and educationally Ealing does reasonably well. There are also a lot of good private schools in Ealing and some of the very best senior private schools in the country are only seven stations away on the District Line from Ealing Broadway.Ealing has fantastic (well almost) transport links by all forms of transport to all those less fortunate places.Ealing has faults of course; domestic parking for those properties generally built before the 1930s, the loss of the aerodrome, racecourse (that wasn't in W5/W13), and through District Railway trains to Windsor. On balance, Ealing is still relatively affordable in terms of personal security, pleasantness (forum excepted perhaps) and most basic requirements, food and such, can be purchased locally. What makes Ealing "value for money" is that we pay for basic (nrmal day-to-day) local needs, not for the cost of "nice to have" but rarely visited luxury shops and facilities. Having said that Winchmore Hill, St John's Wood, and parts of Hampstead are rather nice. Areas of Epping are nice as well - if you don't mind isolation and living at the edge of the civilized world! 

Alan Brainsby ● 6100d