Forum Topic

A Christian Voice

Taken from an article in yesterday's paper:DAILY MAIL COMMENTA Christian VoiceI cannot imagine any politician expressing concern that Britain should remain a Christian country. That reticence is a scandal and a disgrace to our history. So declared former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey, in a speech to the House of Lords yesterday.The Mail applauds his analysis. A view has taken root among our politicians that they cannot stand up for Christianity without disparaging other faiths.Not only is this nonsense, it is an insult to the traditions happy to recognize Britain's Christian heritage and thankful for the opportunity to practice their religion in a truly multifaith society.Lord Carey says of Christians: 'if we behave like doormats, don't be surprised if we are treated as though we are.'What a pity some of those bishops who are still in the pulpit - not least his successor - find it so hard to vigoursly defend their faith.It is not only in England that this sort of thing has been noticed, a while ago I received a letter from my sister-in-law from Malaysia, and she writes: I've been aware for some time now that Jesus is slowly being removed from the Christmas scene in the West, but I was shocked when after combing to malls and two smaller bookshops I could not find a single card with a nativity scene. Our Christmas cards are imported,for example, Hallmark. This is Malaysia, but my friend from London says that it is the same in England where Christmas is now celebrated just as a holiday season. Next year I shall look to the East (India, Taiwan, Japan, Philippines) for Christian Christmas cards!!What do other forum members think?Please discuss.

Jean F Fernandez ● 6053d76 Comments

Interesting assumption about number of Muslim friends. I tend to think that we think of our friends as our friends and the likelyhood is that we would be unlikely to mix with the sort of so called Muslims that cause problems. We live in a modern world full of contradictions and I personally love the mishmash of society with all the various influences. Mostly it is healthy and most people tend to live and let live. But as a Christian (but not a bible basher) I tend to think that in England and especially in Middle Class England there is a confusion about Christianity, Guilt and many things to do with the Empire. I do not fully understand whether it does blight how our Politics work. But I also feel that it is a discussion we need to have. Guilt can be as an individual. What I have done wrong. Who I have upset. Not what the Duke of whotsit did 200 years ago. Political Correctness may be seen as a way of correcting past wrongs. But whilst we need to fight prejudice we must be carefull not to also create it. What impressed me the most in recent years is Desmond Tutu and the truth and reconciliation commission in South Africa. That was about wrongs committed by live individuals who may feel personal Guilt. Can they reconcile with those they did harm to. That was a very Christian institution and healed many broken hearts. Our own PC is an industry which acts as a Middle Class gestapo which picks on perhaps technical errors. It would be interesting to know how others view history and themselves and their views.

Peter Chadburn ● 6049d

The PC Brigade I talk about is the more Spanish Inquisition type. I am not talking about fairness, equality and diversity which can stand up as basic principles for all and have laws to protect. I try to be careful not to insult people but I also see that some elderly may describe people in a way that may not be PC. Yet are they racist? Some may be. But others will care about people of all origins but just use the vocabulary they have been brought up with. Robin, I have made no assumptions about you but it is welcome to learn a bit more. From my mixing with former graduates in various parts of London and seeing them operate in their jobs and also seeing how some who look for a career in the Political arena are often quick to decide on the behalf of others what is right and wrong. You are from what I can see a Leftish activist who works hard and cares. But there are others who see the Labour Party as a Vehicle for their own ambition. Poltical Correctness may have even had it's day because many of the people who were well into it years ago have now turned into very right wing people. I suppose as a graduate, house owning, office worker that makes me middle class but that is an illusion as many so called middle class live with ludicrous debt. This country has many illusions about it and we now live with the two main parties both hi-jacked by the corporates. Is PC used as a tool of oppression or exclusion?? by some. Not you but other people with a bit of power.

Peter Chadburn ● 6048d

There is an element of taking the Christ out of Christmas so that the shops can make more money but in reality according to some scholars Jesus was born in september which makes our retailers perhaps more theologically correct than the Church. There is a season which we can greet. But I do find cards with a Christian message quite easily. In some shops very few but in others plenty. I always by at the Charity card shops which tend to frequent church buildings and there are always some which relate to Christmas. Easter Cards also can be found with non-bunny pictures. Seek and ye shall find. The Tesco Tree according to my communication from Tesco was down to cost saving last year (obviously they were worried about their profits) I personally disagree with Church schools as they can divide people as in Northern Ireland. But many are excellent with a good overall ethos and we all want kids to get a good education. I believe that whilst I do not need a cross to show I am a Christian then obviously some others do. The Season Greetings cards to me are more so that the non practising people can feel comfortable about celebrating something. It is more of an american approach which reflects the materialism of the modern world and was evident before we saw large groups of other faiths in our midst. even greetings cards and mothers day cards are more a manifestation of american culture that any witness to christianity. So whilst I should be allowed to recognise the truth of Jesus, i must also accept the rights of others to believe I am wrong and also their right to have a different path. I have often wondered whether Christianity, Judaism and Islam are God's test to see hwther we all understand the meaning of Love and generally we can see from the problems in this world that man has failed much of that test!!!

Peter Chadburn ● 6045d

Re  Tony Price...so..so..sorry re.my last comment.It was meant for Robin Taylor not yourself...again big apology          xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    that's all right my dear, 'tis what I suspected but had to ask. I suppose one could say pity you had not reponded earlier to save the Cabb one making an ass of himself, but there we are, all's well that ends well.          I don't know what sort of day you have had, I've had a mixed one. Had usual daily call from my Dutch lady, then one from my special Chinese friend who wanted to borrow my " toothbox ". The laughs he has given me during the 10 years of our friendship are legendary and I correct him always and make him repeat and repeat the word(s) until, he gets them right, for which he is grateful as is one other Chinese to whom I did the same and who said he was lucky to have a friend like me but he long since moved to Tooting so I haven't actually seen him for longtime. Anyway, the one who wants my " toothbox " is leaving Ealing for Paddington, which makes me sad, 'cos not only have I been of great help to him over the years but he to me, especially where computers and all things " digital " are concerned, so I will miss him. Actually, it is my toolbox he needs and which he will have when I return to London tomorrow.         Then I received an unexpected call from a very very special Pakistani friend, who I  have also known for 10 years. He is in England again, has invited me to dinner Tues, usually brings me a present and has many times invited me to Pakistan, which one day I will probably accept, Nov is best time he says. This person is very pro British, was educated here as was his father and his father before him. A most interesting family. I have great conversations with him, including on religion ( he is devout and prays 5 times a day ). Needless to say we do not agree on everything but do talk freely and openly and respect each other. As do his friends here who he introduces me to, mainly professional people but not exclusively so, none of whom wish to change this country , it's ways or customs. THEY come here because it is what it is, British and English!, which they like and respect.        So today I had sad news and good news, all involving " ethnic " people, strange as it may seem to some and who cannot  or choose not understand what I, and circa 80% of the UK population cannot accept, ie MASS immigration and the changing of OUR country , aided and abetted by quislings and those of traitorous intent. Incidentally, have you read Frank Fields latest words on the matter.  

Tony Price ● 6008d

re I'm not surprised he didn't want to stay in touch with you.        xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    As about to leave Southampton yesterday ( Sunday ) afternoon my mobile rang. It was Chinese No 1. Where  are you he asked, just on my way back I said. Hurry up 'cos I need you. Need to drill 9 holes. Confirmed he had no screws or rawplugs, so he called just in time for me to gather them up and bring to London. No 1 met me soon after my arrival back in Ealing and after long discussion we agreed to load chest of drawers into my estate car and me and one of his existing flatmates to follow his car to Westbourne Terrace area. My passenger , also Chinese is staying in Ealing, studying for Masters Degree, doesn't need to work, says London has too many people and his home in China is quiet, father is Principal of College where they live. Managed to park near " new " flat and unload. I asked if the new wardrobe needs assembling, answer is no, it's these, these being 3 poles!!. So all this fuss is for 3 poles from Ikea which need to be screwed into ceiling, very high to boot, and anti slip cups at base. I said Kelvin, this is no wardrobe but he said 2 rails will run across from which clothes can be hung. Well you have never seen anything like it. He being as handy as a cow with a muskett left me to get up on high ladder to drill these holes, and it so happened a spirit level was needed which I also just happened to have in the car. The flat is nothing special, rent £2000 per month of which his g/friend pays two thirds, she being at Uni, doesn't need to work, last year bought a flat in Canary Wharf for cash which is rented out. Parents loaded it seems, as are all of the  many Chinese I have known through No 1. A close friend of his nearby in Ealing was at Uni and did not need to work. Kelvin's parents have 2  houses in China and grandfather (now getting better after breaking hip ) has a largish farm. All the tripe we have been fed re Chinese being poor is a load of rubbish. Tooting Chinaman's parents have 3 places back home, one so large it is split into 3. I have long since been invited to China where Kelvin says he will take me around for 3 months. Tooting man is applying for British citizenship as he wants a third child ( that number  not allowed  back home ) but wants to stay here permanently, hope so  'cos he and his wife are very nice people.        So until 10 pm last night we were fixing this " wardrobe " which has no front, no top, no sides and a wall for a back. Of all the years I have known Chinese No 1, he has been a source of " excitement and all things different ". He is the sort of person everyone likes and the centre of " attraction ". And within 6 weeks of having this pristine car I found for him, has bashed that already. When he lived next to me he had BMW's Mercs and Honda Stream. But although  further away, wants to keep very much in touch, which suits me as he is useful!!.

Tony Price ● 6006d

Re    He is in England again, has invited me to dinner Tues,         xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    which duly took place. Despite having a house in Ealing ( that's how we met 9 yrs ago and formed a friendship ) which as he now lives more or less permanently  in Pakistan, is let out, so when in England , stays with a fellow countryman friend out of London to where I drove to meet  him. That  house is detached in large grounds with security electric gates etc and we went on from there by that host's chaufeur driven Merc to another Pakistani friend in Surrey. There we were greeted most warmly, settled down to talk during which my friend insisted on videoing me to take back, including to explain all about the Icelandic volcano. When he was living here before my friend was useless with gadgets etc but was now handling this Sony cam with great dexterity, I asked where he acquired it, was gifted to his wife by the Chinese Ambassador and she passed it on to him. I was also asked to speak by phone to a doctor in Lahore who wants to get to London quickly re the best way to do it in view of the volcanic ash problem.        We were joined by a young person ( 23 yr old )who was extremely intelligent and pleasant and spoke without any hint of an accent. He said reason was he was born and raised in England, works in the City in financial circles. I asked him how he regarded himself, as British he said, with hint of Pakistani heritage and his children will naturally have none at all other than Britishness. His views were a bit off course ( in my opinion )re the liberation of Iraq but we did have frank and amicable exchange of views. He made a very good impression on me. Later two children came home, one just under 5 and the other 11, sons of the host. Both these boys were quite prepared to speak to we strangers in their home, incl the very young one, no inhibitions at all. He was bundled off to bed but the elder of the 2 was allowed to stay and join us for dinner where I took the opportunity to ask re his school etc. Just gone back after Easter break he said ( ref. to Easter got my interest ) so I asked what happened at Christmas. We have Christmas dinner he said and celebrate the birth of Jesus, music to my ears. Both these 2 lads will be good assets I have no doubt.      We adults had wide ranging discussions and my friend in particular getting very agitated re the need to eradicate the fundamentalists back home and how his Govt. are doing their best in that regard. The chauffeur ( also of Pakistani origin )joined in to a certain extent, to which I was relieved as I would have felt uneasy if he had " kept aside " He said he has only met me once but that I very much meet with his approval.I was urged again to visit my friend when in Pakistan, and in the company of the host in that house.        The whole evening was very pleasant and all 3 of the main persons, my friend, the person with whom he was staying and the dinner host have all integrated into English society, living amongst English people, seemingly without any problems and not formed or joined ghettos. And the younger ones will do so even more, holding no doubt to their religion, but why not. The way they have joined into this country  is the way to do it and would avoid resentment that undoubtedly does exist re mass immigration and the formation of ghettos and areas so alien to England. All in all, a very pleasant and reassuring evening.        On the way back, my Ukranian friend phoned, so I passed him over to Friend No 1 for a while, as when  both were here in Ealing, they met and got to know each other well. A pleasant end to a pleasant evening

Tony Price ● 6004d