Forum Topic

A sensible thread, Ash.As someone whose town has been changed more than any other by immigration (mine is one of the very few non-Asian families on this street) I feel better qualified to discuss this than most.Immigration has been enormously beneficial to this country. Sadly, the media (including the taxpayer-funded BBC) like to talk about it as a problem.To a very large extent, immigrants and their descendents staff our hospitals, drive our public transport, arrange and deliver meals on wheels to OAPs, provide employment (I'm employed by immigants, btw), run our councils, staff & manage our restaurants, clean our streets, create our music, etc., etc. You name it and the contribution of immigrants is immense.They have also, in many cases, brought their own food, clothes, styles, culture, traditions and religions with them to these shores. This has enriched us all (accept those who are too blinkered to recognise the benefits).And, anecdotally, I have found that many immigrant and immigrant-descended groups - especially those from the Indian sub-continent - are far easier to live with than some of the so-called indigenous peoples. They are generally more tolerant and peaceful and, further more, put up with more and complain about it less.One last thing: although he was not of the party I vote for, one of the people who did so much to transform this into a multi-racial society was the late Sir Edward Heath. As well as being a great statesman in his own right, he did a number of crucial things that helped to defeat the racist right and make this a civilised country: chief among them, he destroyed Enoch Powell. He also ensured the safe passage of entry to these shores of the Ugandan Asian refugees and took us into Europe.At a Downing Street function about six weeks ago, I pointed to the portrait of this great former leader and declared to one of the younger people in our Labour-voting group these words: "A great man, that."These are my views on immigration.

Robin Taylor ● 5983d

Re  entry to these shores of the Ugandan Asian refugees           xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    usual falsehoods and rubbish from this racist source. Heath had no option but to let in the East African Asians. They had British passports and India refused them entry into that country which would have been their natural homeland.  Does that make the Indians racist or purely protectionist. My views on immigration are not racict like the person to whom this post is in response to. As individuals I accept an immigrant each on their merits, as one would with any individual but mass immigration is a no no. When a peoples feel obliged to leave their environment, area where they have traditionally lived, worked, been educated and built it up and become part of it because of influx of persons alien to themselves and their culture, that I M O is unacceptable and immoral. A classic example of that locally is Southall and the Forums' racist says Perivale is becoming as good, almost. Such an attitude is the most vile form of racism possible, indefensible and totally out of order. Sadly, much of London has gone the same way as was brought home to me  4years ago ? when I was still buying the Ealing Gazette weekly, and in one issue were the photos of the first year intake of all the schools in the Borough and I was immediately struck by the absence of white faces in most classes. This got me thinking, so I examined the photos in great detail and found my initial suspicions were true, we are being swamped and outnumbered in our own Borough. Some white kids are the only one in their class. And the situation has got worse as far as we are concerned. It must be racists exist as they prefer to have an area swamped by immigrants, one racist prefers those from the Indian sub-continent and is well pleased Perivale is being taken over by them. That is nothing other than racism and of the vilest sort. Wembley has gone and Tower Hamlets, place of much postal voting frauds recently, has declared itself an Islamic Borough. Hopefully now that Clegg has within one day seen the error of his ways on mass immigration there will be much less.

Tony Price ● 5982d

Robin would I be right in saying that Southall is a predominantly Asian area???Would I also be right in saying that the community/population  in your home town is largly made up of immigration???Robin I would like to take this oppertunity to make a quote from this weeks Ealing Gazette.'Southall is a hotspot for business crime' May 12 2010 By James Gates Southall has become one of the five worst spots for business crime in the UK according to a new study.The most recent AXA Business Crime Index shows that the area has jumped from thirty-third to fifth place in the UK for businesses which are victims of crime.The statistics showed there was a small decrease in numbers of reported business crime but also that violence is used in more than 50 per cent of incidents. The other hot spots in the top five are Bradford, central London, Manchester and Halifax.Insp Rob Bryan, head of Southall Police said: "It is positive to see that overall crime numbers have dropped slightly, but I am concerned that Southall has ranked so high for business crime. The police treat all crimes seriously, and I will be looking hard at how we can work even more closely with the business community of Southall to reduce these numbers"."Local Safer Neighbourhood Teams already work closely with businesses in Southall to reduce crimes and anti-social behaviour. For example, we recently implement the Alertbox scheme in Old Southall, where business can contact police via radio, which has reduced crime by 33% and reduced demand by 14 per cent."This is positive work and I hope to expand it into other business areas of Old Southall in the near future. I think a strong Business Watch in Southall Broadway would also help build links with the police and I urge anyone who wants to be an active part of such a group to contact me."Call 020 8721 2907 for information on Business WatchEnjoy.

Andy Wright ● 5980d

I genuinely believe that immigration is the single most urgent issue for this new government to deal with.This tiny island cannot possibly sustain any more immigrants,as well as all the problems they bring.Multiculturalism seemed a good idea but it clearly doesn't work-like oil and water,different cultures do not mix.It isn't fair to expect this country to have such conflicting cultures forced on us when there is very little common ground.Many of our problems would be greatly alieviated if the immigration laws were tightened and the UK border agency given more powers.At the moment,even though they catch hundreds of illegals,they have to release them because the illegals deliberately dispose of all ID documents...this should change....ie.no passport.no stay..The numbers of immigrants now are so huge that we are losing our identity-even out town centres often look more like middle eastern market places.They cost the country too much for which we have paid and the immigrants have made no contribution.Therfore there is a huge imbalance adding to our economic demise.They are a huge burden on NHS,schools, housing etc.etc..it is very depressing every day to read unbelievable accounts in the media of outrageous activities eg.fraud,corruption  etc..yet they get leniency in the courts.eg.two pakistani terrorists allowed to stay here under human rights laws..yet a British lady arrested and tagged for selling a goldfish to a 14 yr old..it's not acceptable and things MUST change.Also I strongly believe that anyone wanting to live here should be required to speak English before being issued a British passport.We should not have to have publications,medical records,street and public signs etc..written in dozens of different languages..another huge cost to us as well as having to provide interpreters.It is highly insulting and proof that the immigrants do not want to integrate.Schools are stretched having to deal with kids who cannot speak English,holding our children back.....It has all got to stop.....

Marie Anne OConnell ● 5975d

Re  Of course it's MASS....short for massive.School classes with 75%      xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx    when the indigenous population is reduced to 12.5% I would most certainly say it is mass, indeed more of a wipe-out, which has happened in Southall, and  the most vociferous  inhabitant thereof crows that it is so much to it's betterment, he  also crows  he would open an office in India to pour more in and that Perivale is almost as good, not quite YET then we can see the traitors in our midst peddling true racism for all its worth. Favouring one race above others is racism and that person consistently  proves beyond any doubt he is the biggest racist  on these Forums. His whole life revolves around pushing racism but the amazing thing is he cannot see it, or is it that  he doesn't want to because when he looks in the mirror he doesn't like what he sees. Many boroughs in London , Marie have gone the same way sadly and what no-one has yet been able to explain how the mass immigration replacing  indigs has been an improvement. And also what the traitors have not explained how the members of this mass immigration manage to live in the 2nd most expensive city in the world. For one example, the UK has the biggest influx of Somalis anywhere in the world and London the greater part of that, 65% are on benefits and 80% in social housing. The Afghan woman in Acton with her brood of 7  children draining the Exchequer at  the rate of £185.000 every year just for gracing us with their presence is one extreme example but she ain't the only one by any means.    And on the question of schools content Marie, I must tell you the % you cite at 75 is way  understated. I initially only had a cursory glance at the composition  last Oct but there are several classes where the % is more like 95%. The Forum's racist keeps reminding me I haven't done my analysis yet and for which I apologise, I am now 8 months late, sorry for that. Must try to do better!

Tony Price ● 5974d

Andy, what your analysis below doesn't include, fatally, is what those building site worker's kids are going to do.  If they're well schooled they will grow up to contribute far more to the economy than their father's "£5k" tax a year, even if that is all he pays.Among the things they're going to pay for is your pension, actually - as well as your health care.  They're also going to help staff all these things.  We have a huge population crisis brewing, with more and more elderly and less and less active healthy people to pay for them.  The last thing we need is people trying to tot up the £5K vs. the cost of an education - the true balance is between what it costs to bring up a child here, and what that child will give back once it grows up.Also, the £5K is one extreme of the spectrum.  On average immigrants are better educated and work at a higher level than non-immigrants, so the average should take into account all the doctors, accountants, and whatever - which certainly isn't £5K.Your fulcrum is based on an incorrect assumption, which is why your analysis is wrong.________________________________Hi Ash.The economy being the fulcrum is the problem mate.A State school place for example costs between 6-9k a year per child. An immgrant working on a building site for a few years might pay 5k a year in tax. If he's got two kids here he's costing 10s of thousands more than he contributes even if he always works.That before we look at medical costs,If they are on a low wage so they get housing benefit,working tax credit,child benefit ect ect.Most immigrants dont earn a great deal of money Ash and all the while the tax payer picks up the bill, the fulcrum will ALWAYS be there

Gerald Cabb ● 5971d

Andy, what your analysis below doesn't include, fatally, is what those building site worker's kids are going to do.  If they're well schooled they will grow up to contribute far more to the economy than their father's "£5k" tax a year, even if that is all he pays.Among the things they're going to pay for is your pension, actually - as well as your health care.  They're also going to help staff all these things.  We have a huge population crisis brewing, with more and more elderly and less and less active healthy people to pay for them.  The last thing we need is people trying to tot up the £5K vs. the cost of an education - the true balance is between what it costs to bring up a child here, and what that child will give back once it grows up.Also, the £5K is one extreme of the spectrum.  On average immigrants are better educated and work at a higher level than non-immigrants, so the average should take into account all the doctors, accountants, and whatever - which certainly isn't £5K.Your fulcrum is based on an incorrect assumption, which is why your analysis is wrong.________________________________Hi Ash.The economy being the fulcrum is the problem mate.A State school place for example costs between 6-9k a year per child. An immgrant working on a building site for a few years might pay 5k a year in tax. If he's got two kids here he's costing 10s of thousands more than he contributes even if he always works.That before we look at medical costs,If they are on a low wage so they get housing benefit,working tax credit,child benefit ect ect.Most immigrants dont earn a great deal of money Ash and all the while the tax payer picks up the bill, the fulcrum will ALWAYS be there

Gerald Cabb ● 5971d

I think the thing here, Andy, is that you're talking about the people you think are typical immigrants, and I'm talking about the people I think are.With all respect, you've said before you work on a building site (perhaps at quite a high managerial level, I don't know, but anyway that's the folks you see), so "Most the immigrants I have met are not highly educated, if they were so highly educated then why are they working on building sites" is a completely circular argument.  I work in healthcare and I meet a *lot* of immigrants, all of whom are highly educated, highly motivated, and are very responsible parents who are settled here for life. They are no different to you in any way, other than having been born elsewhere.  Making generalisations about them, in the way you have done in these posts, makes no more sense than it would to waffle on about people from Liverpool coming to London and adding to congestion, etc. etc.  They're just normal people, who live here, pay tax, and send their kids to school.A lot of what you talk about seems like anecdote and even if true, applies only to a narrow band of benefit scroungers - of which there are many here, including native-born.  The stats show that the average educational level of an immigrant is higher than the UK average for everyone.  Who you meet on a building site, and the sort of benefits tales you tell, is just a narrow slice of life, even those parts of it which are not exaggeration and rumour.  I don't doubt you see what you see (or, at least, hear what you hear) but the problem with your logic is taking these stories and saying "see, this is what immigrants do/are".  A doctor from Poland has as little to do with a plumber from Brazil or a benefits cheat from Spain, as a Spanish plumber has with a Polish cheat or a Brazilian doctor - or any of them with a British builder or accountant or whatever.  The problem with your analysis is the way you lump people together based on 'born here or not born here'.And you're wrong about your pension and healthcare, or at least your State ones.  The cash you pay is going into paying for pensions and healthcare *at the moment*.  It is not set aside for you.  If there are more older people by the time you're old, and less young people to work and pay taxes, you will not get back what you put in.

Gerald Cabb ● 5971d

Again Gerald I must disagree you you.The majority of immigrants are not highly educated, they maybe generally educated to a higher standard but the word "highly" educated would suggest a degree or a similar qualification.And I also disagree with the statement about it being a " narrow band of benefit scroungers "For example, there are more polish people living in Ealing than anywhere else in the world ( except Poland of course ) and all the guys who are here with their families are claiming some benefit or other and the ones whose families are not here claim for the families back in Poland.I'm sure there are lots of foreign professionals here but the balance is is definately tipped towards the unskilled/construction/manufacturing sector.The sectors I have mentioned are not as well paid as the professionals and all the people I have encountered claim as much as they can. People from Liverpool coming to London that add to congestion is a daft point as adding to congestion has nothing to do with claiming benefits.I dont " lump " people together, I merely look at the VAST sums of taxpayers money involved in catering for these people and its shocking.In theory your right about the pension. I know that the money I pay is not set aside for me, however, because I have and will pay in to the system for all my life I am entitlted to my pension BECAUSE I have paid in to the system all my life.... so it equates to the same thing.I also notice you didn't mention in your reply the £420 million pounds spent on translators or foreign prisoners that I said could be better spent on nurses,teachers,doctors or police !

Andy Wright ● 5971d

I don't think you're taking my points in before you dismiss them, Andy.For example:______________________________________________________> In theory your right about the pension. I know that the money I pay is not set aside for me, however, because I have and will pay in to the system for all my life I am entitlted to my pension BECAUSE I have paid in to the system all my life.... so it equates to the same thing.______________________________________________________But I wasn't talking about whether you're entitled to it - you just read it as that because for you this is all about entitlement, and knowing your rights, and how everyone else is on the make at your expense.  But I wasn't talking about that.  I was talking about who, exactly, is going to be working here and paying taxes *at the time* that you need that pension and that healthcare.  Either: (a) less, because the UK population is stagnant or declining, compared to the numbers of surviving elderly by the time you're one of them; or (b) a healthy thriving working-age population and economy by the time you retire, made up to a large part (10% or more) of the children of those immigrants who you claim are here only as a drain on the system.That's the point - it's not about how entitled you are to "keep your money" - it's that your tax and NI money has already been spent, today, on treating the existing elderly, and the money that goes on you when you're old will have to come from young people at the time.  Trying to cut down on the number of educated young people in future, just because of your "£5K tax vs. £10K education for immigrant children" fulcrum is calculating the wrong thing.  It should be "the tax those children will pay in future" vs. "what it costs to school them now".All your arguments are based on a very limited sample of Polish building industry workers in your neck of the woods.  The same "analysis" of British migrant workers in Germany the "Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" era of the 70s/80s would haev led the Germans to conclude that all Brits are scroungers, too.  Would that have been correct?

Gerald Cabb ● 5971d

Its you thats being dismissive Gerald.And your entire arguement hinges on these people staying here and living totally honest lives, twice now I asked for your views on the £400 milion spent on foreign prisoners.... still, I await your answer.I'm annoyed because my tax and NI money could be better spent elsewhere Gerald. It annoys me that we have a huge benefits bill and yes I know that English ppl claim benefits but the vast majority of those ppl have paid in to the system for years... and because they have paid for years it DEFINATELY entitles them, and it's not getting any smaller is it Gerald???All my arguements are not based on " a very limited sample of Polish building industry workers in your neck of the woods "  I merely used ONE example that came to mind.I could go on about health tourism or credit card fraud ( predominatly eastern european ) , chinese DVD sellers...the list is endless Gerald.When the English went to work in Germany back in the 70s and 80s we worked hard and paid their taxes.... and because we were mainly self employed over there we recognised we were just visitors in Germany.... and came home and didn't overstay and try to bleed Germany dry !As I said previously, the Labour government were INSISTANT that there were more immigrants leaving our shores than arriving, so that kind of stops your point dead in its tracks.... basically, these ppl turn up and use the resources of the UK.... and when they have had enough they leave.So what happens if an immigrant family leaves before their kids can use the education thats been lavished on them before they are supposed to start work and pay tax???Some immigrants turn up with more than 1 child Gerald, if it costs £5000 per year to eduate one child it costs £15000 to educate 3 children, plus healthcare plus housing and all the other stuff they are "entitled" too and not paid for.

Andy Wright ● 5970d

>> When the English went to work in Germany back in the 70s and 80s we worked hard and paid their taxes.... and because we were mainly self employed over there we recognised we were just visitors in Germany.... and came home and didn't overstay and try to bleed Germany dry !>> As I said previously, the Labour government were INSISTANT that there were more immigrants leaving our shores than arriving, so that kind of stops your point dead in its tracks.... basically, these ppl turn up and use the resources of the UK.... and when they have had enough they leave.I thought you were (unlike some), at least capable of having a coherent debate with even if disagree with you, Andy, but it's increasingly looking as if half your argument is based only on prejudice.You've now got the point of contradicting yourself in the space of two paragraphs.  First you say Brits in Germany were Ok because they went home and 'didn't bleed it dry', and then you say immigrants to the UK are a problem BECAUSE they go home.The difference, for you, appears to be based entirely on this benefits thing, but you're chopping and changing your scenarios.  Transient East European economic migrants who come to work here then go home are no different to the UK builders in Germany - they work, they pay taxes, they on the whole do not bring family and kids over here if they have no plans to settle.Those who do settle and bring families, whether EU or non-EU, tend to stay and so do their kids.All you're doing is repeatedly planting these allegations of "immigrants coming here are different to Brits going abroad, because everyone coming here claims benefits whereas Brits don't" as if it's proven fact. In fact everyone tends to behave the same.  British pensioners moving to Spain have been accused by Spanish politicians of exploiting their healthcare, while at the same time they're eligible for UK winter fuel payments even while living on the Costa del Sol.  This theory that if you just keep repeating enough times that the British are decent and take no money from anyone, while Poles come here and take benefits from both countries, is just nationalistic prejudice and is unworthy of your otherwise quite interesting debating style. 

Gerald Cabb ● 5969d

Gerald I am perfectly able to hold a coherent debate on most subjects.My view have nothing to do with prejudices either,  for me its PURELY ABOUT MONEY AND RESOURCES.The Brits went to Germany as SELF EMPLOYED WORKERS. They all had the correct visas and paperwork and if they didn't work they didn't get paid a penny....thats the big difference here.  They only expected to be paid for the work they did AND NOTHING MORE...not a difficult concept is it Gerald???You have also used what I said prevously in a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CONTEXT.  When I said about the immigrants going home I clearly stated that some would leave AFTER having claimed benefits,educating their kids,health care ect ect.... please feel free to look back at my previous post and actually read it properly !I would have no problem if the transient East European economic migrants....or anyone else for that matter were to turn up here and be COMPLETELY self sufficient and stand on their own two feet financially....and pay in to the system for a few years BEFORE being able to claim a penny.When will you understand Gerald???  I couldn't give a toss if these ppl were burgundy in colour and had 4 heads and twelve arms....it's not about prejudice....IT'S ABOUT MONEY!I dont know a single builder who bought their family out to Germany back in the day purely because it would have meant running TWO houses, one here and one in Germany. Kind of defeats the object of doing what they did dont you think???lets look closely at the English pensioners living in Spain.  These are people who have bought their own properties outright after years and years of hard graft Gerald, they also have their own pensions they they paid in to for years and years and they dont ask the spanish government for money or housing DO THEY???And as for the spanish healthcare....The English are spending more money there in total than they receive in return.The winter fuel allowance is only a couple of hundred pounds per year ONCE A YEAR. Once again, these are old folk who have paid their dues Gerald.... What a stupid thing to bring up !And for the THIRD TIME OF ASKING... are you going to address the issue of the £400 MILLION POUNDS SPENT ON FOREIGN PRISONERS???

Andy Wright ● 5969d

Actually, your response to this (my) whole question, is outright misleading.  You claimed that immigrant children being a drain on the state because they cost more to school than their parents pay in tax, using the most extreme of low-paid employment as an example.I responded that this is (a) not typical, and (b) missing the point, since those kids will stay and contribute to the economy, which will help pay and staff your retirement and healthcare.  I said this is not only good, but necessary, as we need an influx of young people while you and I get old, and the country's demographic is ageing.You then tried to claim this will not happen, since the average immigrant (in your world) comes here, fleeces the system, and then leaves "when they've taken enough", and their kids with them, so making no contribution in future.*Really*?  So there are no, or few, 2nd generation immigrants in this country now, nor will there be in future, because every immigrant comes here for benefits and then leaves before they or their children put anything back into the country in taxes and work?Really?  So every Asian pharmacist with a British accent, every UK-reared person you meet with a Polish name, every young foreign-ethnic, British-schooled doctor, nurse, accountant, shopworker, not to mention all the kids you see in the playgrounds of foreign origin but British upbringing... all these people, *all* these people, either do not exist, or are about to spirited out of the country as soon as their parents have fleeced the economy for as much as they can and have had enough?I think you've retreated into a complete fantasy world in which immigrants are just some demonic bogeymen of your own invention, and very little to do with the people we see on the streets around us every day.

Gerald Cabb ● 5969d