Forum Topic

Alan, I agree entirely that no individual topic is off-forum.  It is entirely possible to discuss, say, immigration in a reasoned and unprejudiced way.  However, some appear incapable of this, and if their opinions are offensive and they cannot seem to stop making them, then this needs editorial action.  This would be entirely normal for a local newspaper or even a polite dinner party, and should be for here too.it is about language, but not only in the pedantic sense - one of the most regular offenders in particular appears to think that by phrasing his words very carefully, it means he can then make very clear and quite offensive implications, and then protest his innocence with "tell me exactly where I said that", but then it's all OK.  Blatant prejudice is still blatant prejudice even if certain words are not used.Any topic goes.  But not any opinion, if the opinion is clearly the result of an offensive degree of prejudice.  If comparing Ealing Broadway with Tunbridge Wells station (to switch examples since one could argue Ealing and Wembley are quite similar demographically), and someone talks about Labour vs. Tory councils (for example), then it's all legitimate wider context.  Even if someone brings in immigration, in a balanced way, this is also fine.  But if someone says - to make a fictional example - "just count the brown faces on the platform at Ealing and it's obvious why there's a problem with parking here and you can never get a seat on the train", then that would be highly offensive without a single racial epithet being uttered.  These are subtle distinctions ,but one that any newspaper letter editor makes daily.  So how do we draw the line?  We go back to my proposal to the Editor - if 5, 10, or whatever number of readers object to her that something posted is offensive to them, then it would be reasonable to take their word for it and edit it. This is simple polite discourse, and is no different to a  dinner party host stopping a conversation and politely suggesting a change of topics if it is clearly making one of her guests uncomfortable.No individual topic is off-forum, but people need to

Gerald Cabb ● 5970d

I was looking at this and I can only say that there is no point in discussing things like racism with some people! racism is real, I was victim of racism all my childhood and even adulthood, being a mixed girl who's grown on a predominantly white country, I got called every name on the racist book. I am also an immigrant, I have moved here 4 years ago. I think that racist people are just ignorant and we should all feel sorry for them! No point in being nasty to each other though! I would also like to say that I do separate the "being a racist" from feeling "upset" for having so many immigrants in your own country but the reality is that this is the 21st century and the world has changed a lot, doors are opened and we should embrace all cultures BUT... the arriving cultures should also adapt to the country's cultures and respect them. There are many immigrants British, Brazilian, eastern European people in my country and we respect them as they were one of us because 99% of them try to learn our language and culture which is great. Anyway, this is just to say that maybe some things are not racism, they should be called perhaps of xenofobism which is also not nice at all but it's not racism... I also think that people just should choose their words wisely so that they are not misunderstood. So far I felt very welcomed in London and love meeting people from all over the world including the good British people! Racism, ignorance is everywhere and the more we ignore it the more it dissipates, ignorance feeds on getting attention so personally... I don’t care anymore about the racist issues, they will always be there... and now it actually makes me laugh because as I grew up I learnt that colour differences are due to melanin and you know what... it's just colour!!! How ridiculous!!  Sorry if it's not very relevant to your discussion but as a former victim of heavy racism and as an immigrant on this lovely country I thought a few words wouldn’t hurt. Cheers All

Nadia Costa ● 5966d