Forum Topic

ASBOs for Boris and Ealing Councillors?

It is surely a fundamental principle of good society that people should be at liberty to go about their lawful business as they please – but only to the extent that they do not impinge upon the liberty of others to do likewise. This weekend, Boris Johnson and his fellow cyclists, aided and abetted by Ealing Councillors, have taken away that liberty from the residents of the streets commandeered for the Ealing Sky Ride. That is anti-social behaviour. By their actions, the officials clearly consider themselves public masters rather than public servants, entitled and empowered to take whatsoever liberties they wish with residents at any time of their choosing.Baron Boris and local government officials decided to go for a jolly cycle ride with their guests through the streets where we live and so ordered the peasant residents to remove their vehicles to make way. No consideration whatsoever was given as to where hundreds upon hundreds of displaced cars could be located from 9pm on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday. Nor did the event organisers care a jot about the extreme inconvenience caused to residents.Whatever the merits of cycling in an age of environmental concerns, this is a minority-interest group being awarded exclusive use of the streets where we live.I have absolutely nothing against cycling or cyclists, but any resident who had plans other than cycling, such as to buy soil and plants from a garden centre to work in their garden, could not drive up to their house to unload. The same goes for anyone doing DIY or supermarket shopping. And if the nearest parking space one could find is more than a mile away...Owing to the breathtaking arrogance of Boris and Ealing Councillors, affected residents were not consulted and were not given sufficient notice to have time to organise and consider their options. For the future, and to help other Londoners who will be imposed upon by such events, hopefully we can find out if there is a possibility of obtaining ASBOs and/or a court injunction against this kind of whimsical imposition by careless local government tyrants.

Colum Keenan ● 5914d12 Comments

It is a fundamental matter of not allowing your liberty to impinge on that of others. Those affected were never consulted. That included my church. Here is the experience of one member trying to cycle from Drayton Green to The Park.I decided to cycle to church yesterday as I was sure that with the Sky Ride I'd have an easy cycle with no cars on the road. In fact my short journey from Drayton Green, West Ealing, to TVU where our church meets was really stressful. I kept being told by officials that I was going the wrong way, so I had to either ignore them and cycle on fast or tell them repeatedly I am going to church. The worst bit was when I turned on to the Uxbridge Road close to the Town Hall - I was told very firmly I couldn't go on the cycle route as they were all riding the other way which only left the pavement as the cycle route was barricaded off and I couldn't cross the road there. I rode up behind about 8 ride officials and asked them if I could ride on the pavement and they said yes, it was ok. Less than a minute later I rode confidently up to where 2 policemen were standing. They stopped me and told me to get off and that they could give me a £30 fine but they wouldn't this time, and I had to walk the rest of the way. I got back on my bike on the road by M and S and was again told I was going the wrong way, but did eventually get to church feeling very stressed. It was a lovely relief to walk into the calm familiarity of our church and to sit down and calm down.

Graham Weeks ● 5913d