Forum Topics

Oyster Daylight Robbery ?

As its the season of goodwill I thought it best to warn everyone of the perils of using Oyster and assuming you are only paying the correct amount. Normally I have a season ticket, but as it finished last week and I have some holiday I decided to use pay as you go...put £30 on it on Sunday for 4 days travel - should be enough I thought....however by the time I had finished a busy days travel (zone 1-3) and started my journey this morning found that over £14 had been taken!Now I know that Oyster should only take up to the equivalent of a day travelcard (£8.60) - so I checked this when I arrived at Liverpool St station this morning and was told that I had not swiped out at the end of my homeward journey the previous night and been charged the princely sum of £6 (peak single jouney fare !!) for this. I can distinctly remember that the barrier I used to exit Ealing Broadway opened up when I presented my card, but also that the indicator light on the barrier remained red (not amber or green) so I can only presume that the barrier was faulty.I am sure I was one of over several hundred who used that one last night - making a nice Xmas bonus for someone!This morning - all the barriers were open to entry/exit. Inviting people to forget to swipe ?? Why is this done early morning / late evening ?? Definitely sharp practice in my book. On a very positive note - the ticket person at the station refunded me the fares over the total single day travelcard once I explained what I had done.

Niall Connolly ● 5759d5 Comments ● 5759d

Ealing Freegive Group

Reusing items saves money, reduces waste and is a way to do something positive for the environment. Items we throw away such as bed, television, clothes, furniture, printer, toys, sofa and computer can pass to someone in your community.If you haven't heard yet, there is a wonderful organisation called Ealing Freegive ( http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ealingfreegive ). Ealing Freegive Group connects people who are giving and getting unwanted items for free in the London Borough of Ealing. It's all about recycle, reuse, reduce and keeping good stuff out of landfills and, at the same time, helping someone in your community by gifting them the item you no longer need. Another benefit of using Ealing Freegive is that it encourages poeple to get rid of junk that we no longer need and promote community involvement in the process. By using Ealing Freegive, not only are you able to get rid of your item with the minimum of fuss; you will also be doing your part in stopping another reusable item ending up in a landfill. It's completely free to join.Visit Ealing Freegive Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ealingfreegiveFreegive group is active in all London boroughs. Find a group near you at http://www.freegive.co.uk/londonfg.htmHow freegive group works: 1. You have a television or clothes or furniture or printer or toys you were going to throw out.2. You join your local Freegive group.3. You post an offer on your local Freegive group.4. People respond to you if they are interested.5. You pick a recipient and arrange for them to collect the item.6. They take the item away.7. You let your local freegive group know that the item is no longer available by posting an item TAKEN message to the group. Note: If you need an item you can request one on your local freegive group in the same way by posting an item WANTED message to the group and if someone has what you’re looking for they will contact you to offer it.This is a great idea! Encouraging people to reuse and recycle things by giving them away and not sending them to the garbage bin! Ealing Freegive is a great way to build a bond in the community and it's always good to recycle. Fantastic idea and everyone should join!

Amy Willson ● 5759d1 Comments ● 5759d