Forum Topics

July smile

Those fabulous Jewish Comedians You may have heard of the old Jewish Catskill comics ofVaudeville days: Shecky Greene, Red Buttons, Totie Fields, JoeyBishop, Milton Berle, Jan Murray, Danny Kaye, HennyYoungman, Buddy Hackett, Sid Caesar, Groucho Marx, Jackie Mason,Victor Borge, Woody Allen, Joan Rivers, Lenny Bruce, GeorgeBurns, Allan Sherman, Jerry Lewis, Peter Sellers, Carl Reiner, Shelley Berman,  Gene Wilder, George Jessel, Alan King, Mel  Brooks, Phil Silvers, Jack Carter, Rodney Dangerfield, DonRickles, Jack Benny  and so many others.  And there was not one single swear word in their comedy. Here are a few examples:   * I just got  back from a pleasure trip. I took my mother-in-law to the airport.  *  I've been in love with the same woman for 49 years! If my wife ever finds out, she'll kill me!    * What are three words a woman never wants to hear when she's making love? "Honey, I'm home!"   * Someone stole all my credit cards but I won't be  reporting it. The thief spendsless than my wife did.   * We always hold hands. If I let go, she  shops.   * My wife and I went back to the hotel where we  spent our wedding night; only this time I stayed in the bathroom and cried.  * My  wife and I went to a hotel where we got a waterbed. My wife called it the Dead Sea .  * She was at the beauty shop for two hours. That was only for the estimate. She got a mudpack and looked great for two days. Then the mud fell off.   *  I was just in London ; there is a 6-hour time difference. I'm still confused. When I go todinner, I feel sexy. When I go to bed, I feel hungry.   *  The Doctor gave a man six months to live. The man couldn't pay his bill so the doctor gave him another six months.  * The Doctor called Mrs. Cohen saying, "Mrs. Cohen, your check came back. " Mrs. Cohenanswered, "So did my arthritis!"  * Doctor: "You'll live to be 60!"  Patient: "I am 60!" Doctor: "See!  What did I tell you?"  * A doctor held a stethoscope up to a man's chest. The man asks, "Doc, how do I stand?" The doctor says, "That's what puzzles me!"  *  Patient: "I have a ringing in my ears."  Doctor: "Don't answer!"   * A drunk was in front of a judge. The judge says, "You've been brought here fordrinking."  The drunk says "Okay, let's get started."  * Why do Jewish divorces cost so much? They're worth it.   *Why do Jewish men die before their wives?  They want to.    The  Harvard School of Medicine did a study of why Jewish women like Chinese food so much. The study revealed that this is due to the fact that Won Ton spelled backward is NotNow.   There is a big controversy on the Jewish view of when life begins. In Jewish tradition,the fetus is not considered viable until it graduates from medical school.   Q: Why don't Jewish mothers drink? A: Alcohol interferes with their suffering.   Q: Have you seen the newest Jewish-American-Princess horror movie?    A: It's called, 'Debbie Does Dishes'.  Q: Why do Jewish mothers make great parole officers?  A: They never let anyone finish a sentence!    Q: What's a Jewish American Princess's favorite position?   A: Facing Bloomingdale's.    A man called his mother in Florida, "Mom, how are you?" "Not too good," said the mother. "I've  been very weak."  The son said, "Why are you so weak?" She said, "Because I haven't eaten in 38 days."  The son said, "That's terrible. Why haven't you eaten in 38days?"  The mother answered,  "Because I didn't want my mouth tobe filled with food if you should call."    A Jewish boy comes home from school and tells his mother he has a part in the play. She asks,  "What part is it?"   The boy says, "I play the part of the Jewish husband."   "The mother scowls and says, "Go back and tell the teacher you want a speaking part."    Q: Where does a Jewish husband hide money from his wife?  A: Under the vacuum cleaner.   Q: Howmany Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?   A: (Sigh) "Don't  bother. I'll sit in the dark. I don't want to be a nuisance toanybody."   Short summary of every Jewish  holiday:  They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat.   Did you hear about the bum who walked up to a Jewish mother on the street and said,"Lady, I haven't eaten in three days."  "Force  yourself," she replied.   Q: What's the difference between a Rottweiler and a Jewish mother?    A: Eventually, the Rottweiler lets go.   Q: Why are Jewish men circumcised?   A: Because  Jewish women don't like anything that Isn't 20% off.           

Graham Weeks ● 5930d5 Comments ● 5912d

ASBOs for Boris and Ealing Councillors?

It is surely a fundamental principle of good society that people should be at liberty to go about their lawful business as they please – but only to the extent that they do not impinge upon the liberty of others to do likewise. This weekend, Boris Johnson and his fellow cyclists, aided and abetted by Ealing Councillors, have taken away that liberty from the residents of the streets commandeered for the Ealing Sky Ride. That is anti-social behaviour. By their actions, the officials clearly consider themselves public masters rather than public servants, entitled and empowered to take whatsoever liberties they wish with residents at any time of their choosing.Baron Boris and local government officials decided to go for a jolly cycle ride with their guests through the streets where we live and so ordered the peasant residents to remove their vehicles to make way. No consideration whatsoever was given as to where hundreds upon hundreds of displaced cars could be located from 9pm on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday. Nor did the event organisers care a jot about the extreme inconvenience caused to residents.Whatever the merits of cycling in an age of environmental concerns, this is a minority-interest group being awarded exclusive use of the streets where we live.I have absolutely nothing against cycling or cyclists, but any resident who had plans other than cycling, such as to buy soil and plants from a garden centre to work in their garden, could not drive up to their house to unload. The same goes for anyone doing DIY or supermarket shopping. And if the nearest parking space one could find is more than a mile away...Owing to the breathtaking arrogance of Boris and Ealing Councillors, affected residents were not consulted and were not given sufficient notice to have time to organise and consider their options. For the future, and to help other Londoners who will be imposed upon by such events, hopefully we can find out if there is a possibility of obtaining ASBOs and/or a court injunction against this kind of whimsical imposition by careless local government tyrants.

Colum Keenan ● 5914d12 Comments ● 5913d

Schools building cuts - political crossroads

Councillor Julian Bell, Leader of Ealing Council, said: “Thisdecision is a devastating blow to our plans to transform high schools across the borough and give our young people the education they deserve.“BSF funding has been stopped at 15 schools and plans for a new high school have been put in jeopardy.“Plans to improve Dormers Wells, Cardinal Wiseman and West London Academy are being reviewed despite work at one school due to start in a matter of weeks. We urgently need confirmation that funding will be provided from the government so work can start.“We have a growing population and are in desperate need of more school places, particularly for children with special educational needs.“Through the BSF programme we expected to have built classrooms for more than 3,000 extra high school pupils by 2014. We know we need at least one more high school in the north of the borough and significant investment in our existing schools. What is not clear is how this willbe funded.These were to be funded by the PFI mechanism which would leave us paying ways over the odds for the next 10 or twenty years for the buildings built in the last few years. So is it a case that the Tories recognise that PFI (Invented by their very own Dave two brain Willets) is a monstrous waste or will they re-invent another wastefull way of getting things done. PFI will be a driving force behind NHS cuts as Health Authorities have to pay large sums for their Hospitals. that have been built in the last ten years. I would like to see what the official policy of the Coalition is to the PFI madness that has damaged the public sector so much!!!

Peter Chadburn ● 5926d6 Comments ● 5914d