Forum Topics

Council Authority to Remove Cars with Permits

On Friday evening I needed to use my car which I had parked in the road adjacent to where I live - I point out that I have a parking permit and it entitles me to park in several streets in the surrounding area where I live. When I walked to the place where I had parked my car last (over 4 days previously) it was not there. Fearing the worst (my car had been stolen) I phoned the police to report it missing. They advised me to ring the "Trace" line to see if my vehicle had been moved - at this point I told them that I had parked my car in an appropriate bay and was not overhanging any white line and that my permit entitled me to park in said road.I phoned the "Trace" line and was told that my car had been moved by the council but could not tell me why only that it must have been an emergency. Asked why I was not informed they could not give me an answer although they did tell me which road it had been taken to although whereabouts they could not pinpoint.On phoning the council this morning I found out that there were emergency road works that needed to be done and that they move my car to do them. This I do not primarily have a problem with - if it was an emergency fair enough - what I do have a problem with is the fact that they moved my car without informing me, causing me anxiety and stress. When asked why they didn't have the courtsey of leaving a note through my door I was told they couldn't due to the data protection act.Are they actually allowed to do this? Has this happened to anyone else?

J Smith ● 6147d30 Comments ● 6110d