European Football Championships
From the 7th of June to the 29th of June the BBC and ITV Main Channels are going to be swamped with the European Football Championships. Now with many people this is going to cause major aggrevation.Certainly the 'Sports Haters'are going to go beserk. BBC/ITV Switchboards lighting up like Christmas Trees! But many others will view the whole thing with little interest as none of the 'Home Teams' or indeed our friends from the Irish Republic will be competing. Schedules will be severely altered. Prime Time popular Soaps such as East Enders, Emerdale, and Coronation Street will 'Shock Horror' have to makeway at key times for say Switzerland vs Czech Republic.Now personnally I like Sport, and maybe I might watch some of it if say it was France vs Germany, but to have all these matches imposed on an audience that has little or no interest is to my mind just crazy.Why not put it all on the Digital Channels I hear you say, that is BBC3/BBC4 & ITV2/ITV3, after all 65-70% can now reach these channels via SKY Freesat, BBC/ITV Freesat, and Freeview(no dish needed on the last mentioned remember Gerry). Yes why not indeed, but that will not happen as the agreement between the Broadcast Authorities, and the European Football Associations insist that all this can only go out on the Main Channels, unless two games are scheduled at the same time, then and only then can the Digital Channels be used. Here we have new technology that is supposed to give people freedom of choice, and what happens, the 'Suits' ignore it, what Planet are these people living on I ask myself. By 2012 Digital will be the only Platform, would the Powers that be still insist on this arrangement then??I think the time has come that with the new technology we should give people the advantage of choice, and I say that, even if in this case the Home Teams were competing in June.
Colin Vaughan ● 6717d16 Comments ● 6691d